Best way to count values in a condition

srosk

Board Regular
Column AK can have a value of 1 or 0. Individuals listed on my spreadsheet can have be listed on multiple rows. Some rows for AK might be a 1 and others, 0. This data is stored on the sheet 'Report - All Data'.

I have another sheet named discrepancy review. I have a unique list of individuals (removed duplicates). I would like to somehow search against Report - All Data. If anywhere in AK = customer ID and a 1, show message A. Otherwise, message B.

I tried a standard if statement but don't know that is appropriate- I feel like the value in AK row 10 will always overwrite AK3, so would not get consistent results. Thoughts?

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Assuming the Customer IDs are in column A of Report All Data try in the other sheet something like this

A
B
Customer ID​
Messaage​
1​
Message A​
2​
Message B​
3​
Message B​
4​
Message A​
5​
Message B​
6​
Message A​

<tbody>
</tbody>

Formula in B2 copied down
=IF(COUNTIFS('Report - All Data'!A:A,A2,'Report - All Data'!AK:AK,1),"Message A","Message B")

Hope this helps

M.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think you want to use a COUNTIFS, VLOOKUP, and IF. Something like

=if(COUNTIFS(AK:AK, 1, [sheet with column of names], VLOOKUP([CUSTOMER ID CELL], [sheet with column of names], 1, FALSE)>0, "Message A", "Message B")

*edit*
I might have over thought it with the vlookup. =)

=if(COUNTIFS(AK:AK, 1, [sheet with column of names], [CUSTOMER ID CELL])>0, "Message A", "Message B")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've been testing this a few ways with no success. I amon Tenure discrepancy review tab. This tab has the customer unique ID (columnA).

Report – all data, has unique ID in column A, and the value I want tocount in column AK. I even created column AM, which combines value from A and AK into AM. AK contains either a 0 or 1. I tried the following code but it doesn’t work.

Code:
=COUNTIF('Report - AllData'!AM:AM,CONCATENATE(A2,"1"))

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not sure the best way to post sample data here. Customer ID (column A) is all numeric. Column AK is either a 0 or a 1. Column AM is either customerID0 or customerID1

Customer IDValue in AKColumn AK

<tbody>
</tbody>

There's an example of what's in the
Report – all data tab. The discrepancy review tab has customer ID among other data. The discrepancy review tab is doing a countif (a2[customerID]1 [concatenate] is present in column AK of the Report- all data tab.

Hope this helps. Ty for your assistance!

Upvote 0
No need to create AM column.

Try

A
B
Customer ID​
Messaage​
123456789​
Message B​
234567891​
Message A​

=IF(COUNTIFS('Report - All Data'!A:A,A2,'Report - All Data'!AK:AK,1),"Message A","Message B")

Check if the sheet name is exactly Report - All Data

M.

Upvote 0
Thank you Marcelo! I tested your code before and it didn't seem like the counts matched. Apparently, my validations were wrong. Ty again!

No need to create AM column.

Try

A

B

Customer ID​

Messaage​

123456789​

Message B​

234567891​

Message A​

<tbody>
</tbody>

Check if the sheet name is exactly Report - All Data

M.

Upvote 0
Recently got office 2016. Macro now takes 1 min 50 seconds to run on 25k rows. When I add this to the code, balloons to 2 min 20 seconds. Any way to expedite?

Upvote 0
Recently got office 2016. Macro now takes 1 min 50 seconds to run on 25k rows. When I add this to the code, balloons to 2 min 20 seconds. Any way to expedite?

Macro? You hadn't mentioned a macro. I thought you are looking for a formula and i suggested a very simple one.
Hard to help without knowing what you are trying to do and without seeing a data sample.

M.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back