SUMIFS formula variation

seriousdamage

Board Regular
Hello,

I use a SUMIFS formula to sum various lines in a data file by choosing multiple criteria like Month, Quarter and Year
However there are situations where I don't need to select all 3 criteria, but only want the year, in this case the formula returns a value of zero.

How can I get around this?

Many Thanks
Nic

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
I have now added a blank line in the drop down list for all 3 selection lists but it still not working.
Yes in column E is a TAX code

Upvote 0
Ok ive made a series of IFs. It make the assumption that if month is filled that is used first then quarter then year:

=IF('VAT summary'!D2<>"",SUMIFS(Transactions!K2:K4,Transactions!C2:C4,'VAT summary'!D2,Transactions!E2:E4,'VAT summary'!F2),IF('VAT summary'!D11<>"",SUMIFS(Transactions!K2:K4,Transactions!H2:H4,'VAT summary'!D11,Transactions!E2:E4,'VAT summary'!F2),IF('VAT summary'!E2<>"",SUMIFS(Transactions!K2:K4,Transactions!D2:D4,'VAT summary'!E2,Transactions!E2:E4,'VAT summary'!F2),"")))

Upvote 0
Re: SUMIFS formula variation help

Yes, the cell is formatted into text

Assuming that =ISNUMBER(Transactions!C2) is FALSE...

=SUMIFS(Transactions!K2:K4,Transactions!C2:C4,IF('VAT summary'!D2="","?*",'VAT summary'!D2),Transactions!H2:H4,IF('VAT summary'!D11="","?*",'VAT summary'!D11),Transactions!D2:D4,'VAT summary'!E2,Transactions!E2:E4,'VAT summary'!F2)

Is this what you are after?

Upvote 0

Unfortunately both formulas still not 100% right even if they are miles closer to a solution.
It looks like that the 3 selections are somehow linked, I need to be able to only chose one and leave the rest blanc if I need to.
but in your formulas, if I leave the year blanc, I never get a result.

Upvote 0

Unfortunately both formulas still not 100% right even if they are miles closer to a solution.
It looks like that the 3 selections are somehow linked, I need to be able to only chose one and leave the rest blanc if I need to.
but in your formulas, if I leave the year blanc, I never get a result.

Try first to test the formula with regular cells (instead of data validated cells) in order to see whether it behaves as desired.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back