'Live Lookup'/Filter

rjbinney

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
This is hard to describe what I'd like to accomplish...

Basically, I'd love a text box at the top of a column. As I type in the text box, the column automatically filters what's displayed.

Almost exactly like using the Search box IN the filter dropdown, but without the checkboxes.

Does that make sense?

Is that ridiculously lazy?

Thanks

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
As I type in the text box....
Until you hit the ENTER key, the value of the cell hasn't changed for a filter (in Excel's normal world) to act on.
I don't remember ever seeing that implemented in an Excel workbook.

Is that ridiculously lazy?
Yes.
I work very hard to be lazy, otherwise I wouldn't bother with VBA. Others just call it being efficient.

Upvote 0
I think that you can achieve what you want, provided you are open to using a macro-enabled file (*.xlsm). Try this as a "proof of concept".

In a fresh worksheet ..
1. Set up a heading in Cell A2 and a list of text below. Perhaps even use this list.

Excel 2016
A
2Hdr1
3Tom
4Bains
5Tommy Smith
6Jon kenny
7Waits
8Jonathan Kearns
9Ted
10Joe Rainsford
Filter as you type

2. On the Developer ribbon tab, click the drop-down under 'Insert' in the Controls section and from the ActiveX Controls section choose Text Box (ab| symbol) and draw a Text Box over cell A1

3. Right click the Text Box & choose Properties. Set the LinkedCell to A1. Close the Properties window and click Design Mode in the Developer ribbon to exit Design Mode.

4. In cell B1, enter the formula =A1 (Later, if this works you might want to format B1 and/or A1 to white text so you don't see the changes there)

5. Right-click the sheet's name tab and choose "View Code".

6. Copy & Paste the code below into the main right hand pane that opens at step 5.

7. Close the Visual Basic window & test by typing into the Text Box. For example, if you type ai you should see the list above reduce to 3 names. Adding an n the list should reduce to 2 names. Clearing the text box should cause all names to reappear.

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
  Static sLast As String
  Dim sCurr As String

sCurr = "*" & Range("B1").Text & "*"
  If sCurr <> sLast Then
    Range("A2:A100").AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:=sCurr
    sLast = sCurr
  End If
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I know it's lazy, but the question is: ridiculously lazy?!?

Can't wait to try that out, Peter - yes, it's already an xlsm file, so learning a little more VBasic can't hurt. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Can't wait to try that out, Peter
Actually, I over-complicated my suggestion. Instead, I suggest that you try the following.
Still so steps 1 & 2 as per my previous post then

3. Right click the Text Box but this time choose "View Code". That should open the vba window and show something like
Code:
Private Sub TextBox1_Change()

End Sub

4. Copy the code below & paste between those two lines shown above
Code:
Static sLast As String
Dim sCurr As String

sCurr = "*" & TextBox1.Text & "*"
If sCurr <> sLast Then
  Range("A2:A100").AutoFilter Field:=1, Criteria1:=sCurr
  sLast = sCurr
End If

5. Close the Visual Basic window & test by typing into the Text Box. For example, if you type ai you should see the list above reduce to 3 names. Adding an n the list should reduce to 2 names. Clearing the text box should cause all names to reappear.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh that is effin' brilliant.

One thing that's weird - it's pulling in a value from ANYWHERE in the table.

That is, if what I type is in another column, it's still catching it. I can't duplicate it in your table example, but in my big honkin' list... But you know what? It's actually MORE helpful that way.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Oh that is effin' brilliant.
Cheers. Glad it is working well for you. :)

One thing that's weird - it's pulling in a value from ANYWHERE in the table.

That is, if what I type is in another column, it's still catching it. I can't duplicate it in your table example, but in my big honkin' list... But you know what? It's actually MORE helpful that way.
That does not sound right to me and I certainly would not rely on it to 'catch' all instances in other columns. I can't imaging what circumstances would cause such behaviour, but then I don't have your actual workbook to try to work out what is happening. :eek:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moonlight6

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back