Conditional Formatting: If calaculation of adjacent cells = value, then Format

Modify_inc

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have the worst luck when trying to remember how to type formulas for Conditional Formatting. They have subtle differences from the same functions used elsewhere in Excel.

I'm trying to do a simple conditional formatting for a cell that has a number in it. The number is manually typed in, it is not a calculation. But I would like to verify that the correct value was entered. To do that, I just need to subtract the two left adjacent cells from each other. If the value equals the cell with the typed number, then apply the formatted condition. Seems simple enough with an If Statement, but I can't figure out the correct syntax it needs.

Obviously, this doesn't work, but I'm sure you can get the gist of what I'm trying to do :)

=If(K11 - J11 = L11, Format, Don't Format)

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
I have the worst luck when trying to remember how to type formulas for Conditional Formatting. They have subtle differences from the same functions used elsewhere in Excel.

I'm trying to do a simple conditional formatting for a cell that has a number in it. The number is manually typed in, it is not a calculation. But I would like to verify that the correct value was entered. To do that, I just need to subtract the two left adjacent cells from each other. If the value equals the cell with the typed number, then apply the formatted condition. Seems simple enough with an If Statement, but I can't figure out the correct syntax it needs.

Obviously, this doesn't work, but I'm sure you can get the gist of what I'm trying to do :)

The formulas used for Conditional Formatting must return either a TRUE or FALSE value.

What cell or cells are you applying this Conditional Format to?

Upvote 0

Ok, I figured part of it out, now I just need it to do the same thing for all the remaining cells in that column. For some reason it's not auto adjusting the cell values for the remaining columns.

This works for the formula, but it doesn't auto adjust the formula values for the remaining cells in the column that need to be checked. It's checking them all against this same cell value.

=K11-J11=L11

I figured it was the $ being used with the values in the "Applies to" field, but when I remove them and click Apply, they come back.

=$L$11:$L$35

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just posted a reply while you were posting. I've got part of it working, but now can't get it to duplicate for the remaining cells in the columns. I mean, it duplicates, but the cell values need to auto adjust for each row, currently, it using the same cell values for the remaining cells in the column.

Upvote 0
With the formula you've supplied & the Applies to range, it should be working.
Whilst every cell may look as though its just using row 11 it's actually using the cells on it's own row.

This is what I get

Excel 2013/2016
JKL
11109-1
ddr

Upvote 0
It is working!

It was my mistake. I forgot blank cells still equal blank cells. It just threw me off when I seen the formatting go all the way down the column. I just assumed it was still comparing the cells with the same original cell range of L11-J11, and every time I clicked to edit the Conditional Formatting, it always showed that same range, but apparently that is by design.

Upvote 0
Can I mark this thread as Solved or should I just leave it as it is?

Upvote 0
Glad it's working & thanks for the feedback.

We don't mark threads as solved here, so just leave as is.:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BatCoder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back