Using =INDEX with Dynamic Sheets

blafarm

Board Regular
I need to dynamically fill select columns in a display sheet (DISPLAY) with select columns from a number of data sheets (D1, D2, D3, ...)

In the DISPLAY sheet, I have a list of friendly names in a column, with their associated data sheet names listed in a column directly to the right.

I am using a Data Validator in the DISPLAY sheet for the friendly names. And I am using INDEX & MATCH in order to populate cell A1 with the names of the actual desired data sheet ((D1, D2, D3, ...).

In the past, I have successfully used INDIRECT for this function, but I am precluded from using it for this application. When I have used it in the past to construct dynamic sheet references, I have used this technique to construct and reference the dynamic sheet:

=INDIRECT("'"&$A$1&"'!"&____) Cell A1 is the data sheet name.

However, this dynamic reference is not working with =INDEX, which requires a sheet name and reference range.

I have proven that I can get what I need with an absolute reference to the sheet like this:

=INDEX('D1'!A1:D50,0,1)

However, all attempts to construct something dynamic using =INDEX have failed, including this:

=INDEX("'"&$A$1&"'!"A1:D50,5,1)

With all of my attempted variations, Excel either won't accept the formula, or will return a #VALUE error.

I suspect my problem is related to the cell range which needs to be incorporated with the dynamic sheet name -- but I don't know what I am doing wrong.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Change

=INDEX(data,10,1)

to

=index(if($a$1="Sheet1", Sheet1!$A$1:$D$50, if($a$1="Sheet2", Sheet2!$A$1:$D$50)), 10, 1)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
Ok, that's what I thought.

So that implies I no longer need the name range of "data".

Is that corrrect?

Upvote 0
Thank you very much.

Unfortunately, I'm getting the same error message.

"A function is called inside INDEX, which isn't supported.

You have been very helpful, and I really appreciate your time, but maybe I need to contact SpreadSheetConverter with this problem (unless you have an immediate solution).

However, failing that, I would like to thank you in a material way.

Do you have a tip jar -- or something equivalent?

Upvote 0
No, but that's very kind, and you could send a donation in any amount to cdlsusa.org

Upvote 0
Hi shg,

I was sitting here thinking this problem was insurmountable (due to the limitations of SpreadSheetConverter).

I decided to get back to basics with =IF:
=IF($C$5="D1",'D1'!A$5,"")
And, of course it works perfectly.

So then I tested nested =IF:
=IF($C$5="D1",'D1'!B$5,IF($C$5="D2",'D2'!B$5,IF($C$5="D3",'D3'!B$5,IF($C$5="D4",'D4'!B$5,""))))
And it works perfectly too, with the exception that it causes Excel to popup an "Update Values" file name box every time I hit enter.

I understand it is not advisable to nest too many =IF statements, but is there anything fundamentally wrong with this approach?

Or, stated another way, if I have, say, 50 nested =IF statements, does it require more processing cycles than using the =INDIRECT or =INDEX formulas discussed earlier in this thread.

I ask this not because of my computer -- but because of how these sheets perform once they've been converted to webpages by SpreadSheetConverer.

Thanks

Legend
C5 = The cell in my Display sheet that references the name of the desired data sheet
D1 = The name of Datasheet 1
D2 = The name of Datasheet 2
'D[number]'!A$5 = The first cell in a Datasheet that I want displayed in my Display sheet

Upvote 0
I don't have the big picture of what you're trying to do, but ...

o Nested IFs calculate until they get to the expression to return; so if you have 50, then all other things being equal (all tests equally likely, mutually exclusive, and mutually exhaustive), 25 will be evaluated.

o I could probably count on the fingers of both hands the number of times I've used INDIRECT in 30 years of using Excel; it's volatile, and I avoid it if at all possible.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back