Trying to Query a Database but been asked for a Password when there isn't one?

JazzSP8

Office Version
  1. 2013
  2. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
Hey All

I'm struggling with this one, I'm not even sure if this is an Excel / Access or a Network Problem.

I've an Excel Workbook that I use to query an Access Database on a network drive.

It's as simple as it comes and something I set up years ago. The Database has two tables, the Workbook imports these tables into two different worksheets and then Formulas do the rest.

We recently moved our databases onto a new network drive. With this move came a mandate that these folders would now be made secure and that only people who needed access would have it.

Everyone who needed permission was given permission.

I updated the Workbook with the new network drive name, tested it worked and emailed it out.

Then the problems started.

Users where coming back to me asking about a password for the database. There is no password.

I checked with my local copy and it was fine, a visit to the user(s) computers did indeed confirm that they where being asked for a password.

I checked their PC's and everything was as it should, they had access to the network drive etc.

Scratching my head a bit I returned to my PC and began to investigate, I pressed the button that makes the magic happen and was asked for a Password, despite not being just 15 minutes or so earlier.

Nobody in the Technical Team(s) here seem to be able to help and assign the blame to each other...

SO.

I decide I'd set it all up again to see if a fresh start was needed...

I query the Database into a new Excel 2010 workbook and straight away I'm asked for password.

Interestingly(?!) I queried another database in the same folder and had no problems, just pulled it straight in.

So, the Tech Team(s) have no ideas, I've no ideas and don't have access to everything they do even if I did.

Anyone come across this before who can point me in a direction of something else to try?

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back