Dragging formulas down a column

mneghassi

When dragging, I want the reference cell to add 57 rows each time. For instance, if I were to use the OFFSET function. The first use of the OFFSET function references B5. The next row down, I want it to reference B62 and so on. See below.

=OFFSET(B5,3,6)
=OFFSET(B62,3,6)
=OFFSET(B119,3,6)
=OFFSET(B176,3,6)

Is there a way to do that?

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Re: Dragging formulas down a column (this may be a super easy question, but I really don't know the anwser)

Give this formula a try...

=INDEX(B:B,57*ROWS($1:1)-52)

Upvote 0
Re: Dragging formulas down a column (this may be a super easy question, but I really don't know the anwser)

Thanks so much. It works, but you probably knew that already :)

How does this formula work?

Upvote 0

I have the same set up, but instead of 57 rows, it's 85 rows. I tried changing the 57 to 85 and it definitely doesn't work. Any idea?

I just enrolled in an Excel course starting in a few weeks. Way too many holes in my Excel "skills"?

Upvote 0

I have the same set up, but instead of 57 rows, it's 85 rows. I tried changing the 57 to 85 and it definitely doesn't work. Any idea?

I just enrolled in an Excel course starting in a few weeks. Way too many holes in my Excel "skills"?
You have to change two numbers, not just one. The OP for this thread said the first cell he wanted to reference started on Row 5.... 57 minus 52 (the two numbers in my formula) equals 5 (the OP's starting row number reference). So, if you first row is 5 like the OP's (you said you have the same set up), then the 57 would change to 85 and the second number to 80 (the difference is the starting row number reference). So my formula would become this for what I think your requirements are...

=INDEX(B:B,85*ROWS($1:1)-80)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Solitario

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back