Referencing a cell that references a table to provide result from the table.

jtmjtm

Hi All,

Apologies for the dreadful title, I'm not sure how to explain this succinctly, part of the reason I can't find a solution online for what I'm sure is a simple problem I'm having.

I'll explain the setup first:
In Sheet 1 I have a basic layout in which Column A is the name of a business, Column B is how many hours I worked, Column C is the hourly rate the business pays, and Column D is the amount I'm owed for the hours I've worked.
In Sheet 2 I have a 2 Column table, Column A is the name of the business and Column B is the hourly rate they pay.

I have set up the cells in Column A of Sheet 1 to provide a dropdown list to select a business name from the table in sheet 2, now I want to have Sheet 1 Column C look at Column A and show the rate associated with the business that is provided in Sheet 2 Column B.

So in short terms 1-A1 selects from 2-A1 through 2-A20 in a dropdown and I would like 1-C1 to reference 1-A1 and show the relevant number from 2-B1 through 2-B20.

The only way that I have been able to do this so far is through multitudes of nested IF statements, and I was wondering if there was an easier way to do this that I've just completely missed.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Excel Facts

Create a chart in one keystroke
Select the data and press Alt+F1 to insert a default chart. You can change the default chart to any chart type
Hi & welcome to MrExcel
How about
=INDEX(sheet2!A1:B20,MATCH(A1,sheet2!A1:A20,0),2)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ajax40

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back