Identify amounts that could be zeroed out

savosean

Hello, I have been struggling to try and find a solution to my problem. Or if there even is any.

Basically speaking I have about 50K lines of data, within this list of data I have names and amounts associated to it:

Example as follows :

John $30
John -$10
John -$20
John $53
Samantha $20
Samantha $67
Samantha -$15
Samantah -$5
Jerry $50
Jerry -$35

I have to identify which people I have the ability to clear a portion of their entries, therefore for John I can remove the +$30 and the -$20 and -$10. And with Samantha the +$20 and -$15, $-5.

This is for a data set of 50,000+ entries, therefore you can see why I may be trying to search for a faster method in doing this.

I have attempted to try and use solver, but I can't seem to get that to work and I am now at a loss. Any help would be appreciated it.

Thanks,
savosean

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Hi,

Why not summarize with a pivot table ....

Jerry15
John53
Samantha67

<colgroup><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Would a pivot table allow me to identify which ones have values that are zeroed out. Like would I be able to see within my pivot table data that Jerry has other entries that were equal to 0. Because if I cannot view those then it wouldn’t be of any help to me since that’s the same as the subtotal feature.

Upvote 0
I think it's a start ... pay attention to the instructions so that the formulas work as they should

1. Sort by Name (Level One)
2. Sort by amount - from largest to smallest (level two)
3. C - Helper column
4. D - Unique list of names

Ctrl+Shift+Enter NOT just Enter

C2 =MAX(IFERROR(MATCH(TRUE,INDEX(MMULT(--(ROW(B2:$B$11)>=TRANSPOSE(ROW(B2:$B$11))),B2:$B$11)=0,,),0),C1-1),0)
D2 =IFERROR(INDEX($A$2:$A$11,MATCH(0,COUNTIF($D$1:D1,$A$2:$A$11)),0),"")
E2 =SUMPRODUCT(--($A$2:$A$11=D2),--($C$2:$C$11=0),$B$2:$B$11)

ABCDE
1NameAmountUnique ListTotal
2Jerry500Samantha67
3Jerry-350John53
4John530Jerry15
5John303
6John-102
7John-201
8Samantha670
9Samantha203
10Samantha-52
11Samantha-151

<colgroup><col span="4"><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
All I do is add a helper column that indicates the ABS() of the values I need to compare and then sort with the appropriate grouping.
A Conditional filter can be used to highlight where values match, but because three values with the same ABS() result can't all clear, it still requires some human factor.

Upvote 0
Would you be able to elaborate on the ABS() please? As for the formula provided by admiral100 unfortunately it doesn't work correctly if the values matching values are not right beside you for example : top-bottom 45,4,-6,-45... it will not show that the two 45's can be cleared as they are not directly beside each other.

Upvote 0
ABS(Value) is used in a Helper column.
ABS(-45)=ABS(45)=45
Sorting by the ABS() value will put like values +or- next to each other.

An additional helper column may be needed if there is a need to return the data to the original list-order.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ijat

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back