Totaling cells based on values of reference cell?

SHCOCS

I have a spreadsheet that tracks the amount of a specific item someone purchases on a specific date. What I am interested in is how do I total, in 1 line, the amount someone (in this case, John Smith), buys?

I know I can sort the column by purchaser name and highlight the total and just get the total from that but I would prefer something more automated.

Bonus option 2 would be to get a total of how many of each item each purchaser bought in the year as well, I tried a pivottable but given the amount of items I have, it's might not be feasible.

Thank you in advance

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Can you show some example data and desired results?

Pivot Table is the first thought I had, it shouldn't matter how big the data is.

Upvote 0
Knew I was forgetting something. Basically I just want to know how many items (in total is fine, how many of each individual may be unrealistic/not worth the time since there are 60+ items) each purchaser orders.
Spreadsheet.png

Upvote 0
What I am interested in is how do I total, in 1 line, the amount someone (in this case, John Smith), buys?

Isn't this the 500 shown?

Bonus option 2 would be to get a total of how many of each item each purchaser bought in the year as well

From the sample data.

C7 = 01/01/2018
C8 = 31/12/2018
D7 = "John Smith"
E7 = "
=SUMIFS(C:C,B:B,D7,A:A,">="&C7,A:A,"<="&C8)"

I'd pivot it though, add a year column =YEAR(A3), then the pivot will have year in the filter, name and sum of Total Ordered

Upvote 0
Yes, the 500 is the total amount in that particular, I should have said how much he ordered in the entire year, as a purchaser could order multiple times per year and I could have multiple purchasers. It would be much easier for me to have a single line showing total for the year rather than counting up. I think pivoting is probably the way to go, thanks for your input.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leon Leenders

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back