Trouble with Macro

jpencek3

I have a data set where the number of rows will vary month. There are different dates in columns E and J. I'm looking for a macro that deletes all rows that have any date in column E (half or so will have dates and the rest will be blank). Then after that will delete all the rows that have a date where the day of the month in column J is later than the current day. For example row 4 has no date in column E but a date of 8/24/18 in column J. It will be deleted because the 24th is later in the month than the 17th (today).

I feel like I'm going about this very inefficiently by trying to get a macro insert a new column A then use a function like =if(B1="","Remove,IF(F1<>"","Remove",IF(DAY(TODAY())<DAY(K1),"Remove","Investigate"))). I'm still running into issues sorting that column then deleting all the "Remove" rows

Can someone please help?

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
The following method (most likely just one of many ways to accomplish your goal), utilizes a "helper column" (Col K). This column can be hidden if desired.
Also, the "helper column" can be any column you like, it doesn't have to be "K".

I have broken down the macro into three small sections so hopefully it will be easier to understand. Macro "Replace Zero", uses the helper column ("K") to establish the day number of the week,
which is later used in the macro "DelRowsDaynDates2" to determine which rows should be deleted based on the dates in Column J.

The process then goes to macro "DelRowsDaynDates", which determines which rows in Column E have a date and then delete that row.

Then the process goes to macro "DelRowsDaynDates2", which determines which rows in Column J should be deleted based on the Day of the Week Number.

Code:
Option Explicit

Sub Replace_Zero()
  With Range("J2", Range("J" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp))
    .Offset(0, 1).Value = "=DAY(J2)"
    '.Value = .Value
  End With
  DelRowsDaynDates
End Sub

Sub DelRowsDaynDates()
Dim lr As Long, i As Long
lr = Range("E" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
    For i = lr To 2 Step -1
        If Range("E" & i) <> "" Then
            With Range("E" & i)
                .EntireRow.Delete
            End With
        End If
    Next i
DelRowsDaynDates2
End Sub

Sub DelRowsDaynDates2()
Dim lr As Long, i As Long
Dim strDate

strDate = Now()

lr = Range("K" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
    For i = lr To 2 Step -1
        If Range("K" & i) > Day(strDate) Then
            With Range("J" & i)
                .EntireRow.Delete
            End With
        End If
    Next i
End Sub

You can download a copy of the working workbook here : https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/f3LrAlYqKFlWLHdXYwLq3hO2rPEIPuXAD0rLduwzpLe

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Another option
Code:
Sub DelRwsOnDate()
   Range("E:E").SpecialCells(xlConstants).EntireRow.Delete
      .Value = Evaluate(Replace("if(day(@)>day(today()),"""",@)", "@", .Address))
      .SpecialCells(xlBlanks).EntireRow.Delete
   End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Thank you both for your replies! This macro is working perfect, however I've run into one issue... Any time column E is completely empty (no dates at all) it doesn't seem to work. How can I fix?

Upvote 0
Were you speaking of my submission ? I've ran it here and it works. ??

Upvote 0
If you were referring to my code try
Code:
Sub DelRwsOnDate()
   On Error Resume Next
   Range("E:E").SpecialCells(xlConstants).EntireRow.Delete
   On Error GoTo 0
      .Value = Evaluate(Replace("if(day(@)>day(today()),"""",@)", "@", .Address))
      .SpecialCells(xlBlanks).EntireRow.Delete
   End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
This works exactly like I wanted, thank you so much!! Unfortunately, I just found out we cannot just filter by those items and need to make some changes. Can you help me with this part too? Here is what it needs to do

1. Delete any row that has a date in columns E, J, and O (while keeping the headers in row 1)
2. Delete any row that has no date in column E, any date in column O, and a date where the day the day of the month in column J is later than the current day
3. Insert a new column D labeled "Comments"

So basically it is the same as before, except the ones that have any date in column E also need columns J and O to be non-blank as well, and we need to keep the headers in row 1. The second part is the same with the date for column J, except column O needs to be non-blank as well. And then after all the rows are filtered out, we need to insert a column D labeled Comments.

The original request was over my head, so these additions are getting way over my head. I'd really appreciate the help!

Upvote 0
As this is now a completely different question, can you please start a new thread.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweeberry

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back