Entering a % or Amount to calculate a new number

talkmauro

I am trying to figure out how to set up an excel calc to allow a user to enter a percentage or amount (see red text below) in adjacent cells to calculate a new value. If they enter a percent, it automatically calcs the amount and vis versa. It needs to be dynamic enough to go back and forth between the two values so if they try a percent but then want to switch to an amount they can do it without remembering to delete the value in the % or amount field.

Old%AmtNew
100010%1001100
or
100010%1001100

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Thank you this is good. I am not sure it solves all what I am trying to do. Does this allow them to go back and forth? Meaning if they have already entered 10% in B2 but they want to enter 150 into C2, can they just enter in 150 into C2 and it recalculates B2 to 15% and D2 to 1150?

Upvote 0
Thank you this is good. I am not sure it solves all what I am trying to do. Does this allow them to go back and forth? Meaning if they have already entered 10% in B2 but they want to enter 150 into C2, can they just enter in 150 into C2 and it recalculates B2 to 15% and D2 to 1150?

No, you cannot have formulas and user entered values in the same cell. To do what you are after would require VBA. If VBA is an option, could you answer some questions?

-Is row 2 the only row users will be entering data? If not, what is the range that is used? If not a specific range, what column will have data in every row?

-Are columns B and C the only user inputs to be considered? With output in column D.

Upvote 0
No, row 2 is one of many. Up to 600 different rows are needed, data should be in every row and in both B and C. Yes, we need to allow B and C available for them to change and output is column D.

Upvote 0
No, row 2 is one of many. Up to 600 different rows are needed, data should be in every row and in both B and C. Yes, we need to allow B and C available for them to change and output is column D.

Assuming column A will be consistently full of data until the last row. Also what is the sheet name?

Upvote 0
You can give this a try. Install it in the sheet module and change the highlighted "Sheet1" to the actual sheet name.

Rich (BB code):
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim ws As Worksheet
Dim lastRow As Long
Set ws = Worksheets("Sheet1")
Application.EnableEvents = False
lastRow = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
If Not Intersect(Target, Range("B2:C" & lastRow)) Is Nothing And Target.Count = 1 Then
    If Target.Column = 2 Then
        If Target.Value <> "" Then
            Target.Offset(0, 2).Value = (1 + Target) * Target.Offset(0, -1).Value
            Target.Offset(0, 1).Value = Target * Target.Offset(0, -1).Value
        Else
            Target.Offset(0, 1).Value = ""
            Target.Offset(0, 2).Value = ""
        End If
    End If
    If Target.Column = 3 Then
        If Target.Value <> "" Then
            Target.Offset(0, 1).Value = Target + Target.Offset(0, -2).Value
            Target.Offset(0, -1).Value = Target / Target.Offset(0, -2).Value
        Else
            Target.Offset(0, 1).Value = ""
            Target.Offset(0, -1).Value = ""
        End If
    End If
End If
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Upvote 0
Wow thank you. Does this automatically run once they try to enter data into either cell? How does it execute? I will let you know how it works.

Upvote 0
Once data is entered into either column B or C within the range of data, that code should fire. I also made it clear B, C and D if someone later deletes a value in B or C. If you don't want that feature, the code can be modified.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristineC

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back