Dependent drop down from table?

JClayborn

Hi everyone. I have a bunch of information in a single table. I want to use 2 drop-downs and then a Vlookup with indirect function to call that data out on another part of the sheet. Everything that I've seen so far shows making dependent lookups based on making multiple tables. I can't do that. It needs to work from one table.

I'm trying to make a battle calculator for a play-by-email game. So the first part of the table is a list of all of the units at the battle and their attributes. On the same line, next to that is where the information will go for the unit the first unit is attacking. Since every unit is listed in the initial table, it can just pull that data from the table.

[FONT=arial, sans, sans-serif]For example , the battle table would have this information on the left side.
[/FONT]<style type="text/css"><!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}--></style>
NationTypeUnitHealthFireManSkill
KarvipaAirKA-TF-001202041
KarvipaAirKA-TF-002202001
KarvipaAirKA-TF-003202031
KarvipaAirKA-TF-0042020281
KilliaAirKI-GF-0012030181
KilliaAirKI-GF-0022030121
KilliaAirKI-GF-0032030111
KilliaAirKI-GF-004203051

<colgroup><col style="width: 100px"><col width="100"><col width="100"><col width="100"><col width="100"><col width="100"><col width="100"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

On that first line, I want to be able to select a target for unit KA-TF-001. So, first I'd have the drop-down populate the nations that are present. In this case, I'd select Killia. For the second drop down I want it to show only the units that belong to Killia in that menu. From there, I can use a Vlookup with an indirect function to fill out the rest of the fields, but I'm not sure how to do that second drop down.

Any help would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
I can't seem to find any tutorials that suggest this is even possible. But, when you create a Pivot Table you are able to do exactly the type of filtered drop down that I am trying to replicate. I just need to figure out how to do it outside of a pivot table.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting a link to your solution (y)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LinusJE

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back