Formula needs to refer to a dynamic range on another sheet

zookeepertx

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all!

I have a workbook with 3 sheets in it. The first sheet summarizes certain data from the other 2 sheets. Other people regularly add and subtract rows on the data sheets and will sometimes insert blank rows; I don't know why, though.

I need the formulas on the summary sheet to refer to ALL of the data in - for example - column F on sheet 2. How can I get the formula to look at all the rows with data, not just down to the first blank row? If I just use a reference to the entire column - ($F:$F) - the formula runs really slowly. When I evaluate the formula, when it shows the result of ($F:$F), it shows (8,8,4,8,8,4,4,8,4,4,6,4,1,1,1,1,1,1,1.......) and the 1s go on FOREVER! (I assume for however many rows are available on a spreadsheet) Then, another part of the formula references another column and it happens again!

I'm a little afraid to make the data into named ranges because I know the people using the workbook could find SOME way to throw a wrench into it. I'd make a macro for it, but it'd just be so nice to use formulas on the summary and have it always be up-to-date!

Here's an example of the formula in C5 on the summary sheet:

Code:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(IFERROR(MONTH(COMPLETE2!$A:$A),0)=MONTH(DATEVALUE(C$3 & "1")))*(COMPLETE2!$F:$F="ALLOCATION"))

It gets the month in C3 of the summary sheet, finds all the rows on the data sheet (called "COMPLETE2") where A has the same month. Then looks at column F on the data sheet and counts how many rows for the given month say "ALLOCATION" in F. How can I get the formula to find the LAST occupied row of data, not stop at the first blank row?

Thanks!

Jenny

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back