Copy part of Listrows in non-active worksheet in VBA

helivw

I open a workbook X
I would like to copy part of a listrow from a table from a non-active worksheet in Workbook X
When I activate the worksheet "Fin" in Workbook X
This code works

Code:
MyCust.DataBodyRange.Range(Cells(1, 1), Cells(1, 10)).Copy

(MyCust is the Listobject in Workbook X in Worksheets Fin)

When worksheet "Fin" in Workbook Y is activated, I receive error 1004
How can I solve this problem without activating the worksheet in Workbook X

Thanks

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
The 1004 error is probably caused by the Cells property not being qualified. Try this syntax
Code:
With MyCust.DataBodyRange
    .Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells(1, 10)).Copy
End with

Upvote 0
Works great. Thanks a lot

One thing I do not understand:
To approach the first row <rows(1)> of the ListObject.BodyRange you need => .Range(.Cells(0, 1), .Cells(0, 10)).Copy instead of => .Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells(1, 10)).Copy
Any idea why?

Thanks</rows(1)>

Upvote 0
Thre is no row 0. When you use the Cells property to form your cell reference, the first number inside the parentheses is the row number so neither Cells(0, 1) nor Cells(1, 0) would be valid because the first is trying to use row 0 and the secong is trying to use column 0. Both Rows and Columns index numbers have a minimum of 1. You are allowed to use the 0 or a blank in both Offset and Resize, eg. Offset(, 5) = five columns to right, or Resize(5) = a verical range of five cells including the reference cell. In both the latter cases, 0 would refer to the base reference cell row or column as applicable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for the explanation

As I understand cells(0,..) is not working

Header1Header2Header3Header4Header5
aaaaa
bbbbb

<tbody>
</tbody>

but
----
If I use .Rows(1):
MyCust.DataBodyRange.Rows(1).Copy

The first row (with a's) is selected to be copied
----
If I use =>.Cells(1....

.Range(.Cells(1, 1), .Cells(1, x)).Copy
End With

The second row (with b's) is selected to be copied
----
If I use .Cells(0....

.Range(.Cells(0, 1), .Cells(1, x)).Copy
End With

The first row (with a's) is selected to be copied

What can be the reason we need Cells(0,...) ? Thanks

Upvote 0
The explanation I gave applied to just the Excel worksheet. The code you are using applies to a list object (table) that is on the worksheet and apparently the rules are different for a table than for the worksheet. I don't use tables and seldome write code for them so I would have to do some research to verify exactly how the rows and columns references work in a table. But you could probably do that yourself by doing a web search for tutorials on "Excel Tables VBA".

Upvote 0
I did a quick review of how the contents of tables are referenced and can see that when DataBodyRange is used, the header row is not included in the object data. So Cells(1, 1) of that range would be Cells(2, 1) of the overall table. So it is how you reference your range within the table that determines what is returned when you use the Cells property to return a range. There are several ways to roference ranges in a table, which I won't go into here. But they do not follow the standard conventions of worksheet 'Cells' references other than the first number inside the parentheses is for a row and the second is for a column, because the reference is being made inside another range object within a worksheet.Range object. Now that I have you thoroughly confused, I will let you think on it for a while.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back