Link To Table Instead Of Range

tracer773

Hello - I am hoping this is an easy fix. The short question is, why are my formulas working when the cells are linked to a normal range of cells, but if those linked to cells become a table, the formulas stop working?

The long question:
My software exports data as a CSV. I have written formulas that work fine when I cut and paste the exported data into the excel sheet. However, manually cutting and pasting is time consuming. So I was trying to create a connection so that whenever the CSV file gets updated, my reporting document would auto update. I have been going through the import process through the data tab. This imports the data into my excel report as a table. When I then link my formulas to the data in the table, the formulas stop working.

I tried to link the cells directly to the CSV file, but every time I closed the excel file, the connection to the CSV file would be lost. Through my research, it appears that to correctly link to a CSV file, I must go through the import process.

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
the import process..? Which one?
With the introduction of PowerQuery, Excel has two built in methods and both can create connections to a source file.

The formulas work for a range but not a Table? What formulas or functions are you having trouble with? Aren't your formulas working in a Table manner and if not, why not?

Upvote 0
I click on Data and then From Text/CSV.

My formulas are fairly simple.

Formula 1 = Looks at Column A to see if they include a certain word and if true, returns a 'Yes.' These formulas are still working.

Formula 2 = If formula 1 equals Yes, then it multiplies the value in column B by 2 and returns that value. This is the formula that is not working.

Upvote 0
maybe values in B column are as text not as number

btw. if you want use PQ : Data - New Query - From File - From CSV. It's up to you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That was it, which I suspected and tried a few things to fix.

For some reason during the import process, it was converting it to text. In the import editor, I had to select those columns and transform them into numbers.

Upvote 0
CSV is a text file, doesn't matter if it will be open in Notepad or Excel values usually are as text

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back