PERSONAL macro workbook not opening

Bengo

Board Regular
Hi,

I have an issue where if I open excel as a blank workbook, my PERSONAL.Xlsb file opens in the background as it always has. However if I open any other workbook, that file no longer opens. This has only started to happen in the last couple of days (think I installed some windows updates)

I have checked:
File location
Trusted locations includes the XLStart folder where my PERSONAL file is located
That the PERSONAL.Xlsb file is NOT discabled (Add in > Disabled Addins)

I have also created a new file on my desktop to replace the old PERSONAL file, to check it was not considered corrupt

Does anyone have any other ideas or having the same issue?

thanks,

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
Not quite sure i get you. Why would you want it to open again if its already open?

Upvote 0
Sorry I didn't explain too well. I'd like my PERSONAL.Xlsb file to open in the background when I open any other existing workbook, so that I can access my saved macros on any workbook. It used to do this (if I opened week1sales.xlsx, the personal.xlab would also open as a hidden workbook, and I can use my personal macros on the week1sales.xlsx workbook)

The only way I can now get the PERSONAL.Xlsb workbook to open is to open Excel as a program, and then go and open week1sales.xlsx afterwards. Adds time and steps when I should just be able to right click and access my recent files from the Excel launcher icon

Hope that makes sense

thanks

Upvote 0
I cant say as ive ever seen that. Ive just always opened mine using the XLSTART folder. There is an option to open via a folder of your choice via excel options-advanced-general

Upvote 0
I cant say as ive ever seen that. Ive just always opened mine using the XLSTART folder. There is an option to open via a folder of your choice via excel options-advanced-general

Yes I have that option ticked and pointed to my XLSTART folder, it just doesn't seem to open that file... Only started happening this week and is infuriating!

Upvote 0
I've FOUND THE SOLUTION!!!!! for anyone encountering the same issue, looks like a glitch:

I had the same situation as OP in that I could not externally launch macros in my personal.xlsb file, but could open the file manually and run the macros without any issue. My Tusted Location setting were also unchanged and still in order.

What happened: My personal.xlsb file became unloaded while working (not sure how). All my Addon & Trust settings were correct. Closing and re-opening Excel would not reload my personal.xlsb file. I realized after opening and closing Excel several times that the Task was not ending and I was stuck in the same instance of Excel.

The solution: Ended EXCEL.EXE from the Task Manager, opened a new workbook and my personal.xlsb file launched normally. [taken from article in Stackoverflow]

Phew!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back