Help with finding unique word in column from a list

dave84dd

Hi,

I'm stumped here. I think this can be done. Well I'm sure it can be done. I just don't know how to do it. What I am looking for is a formula to do a unique word lookup and match. I have a simple sample. Keep in mind the "list of Unique Words" will be several hundred in length. otherwise I think it could be done with an IF statement if it was only a couple long. I believe it might be index however I'm not 100% sure, which is why I am hoping some excel GURU can toss me the answer.

Sheet 1Sheet2
ABCDEFKAB
DateN/ADescriptionN/AN/ANeed Formula to look at column C and determine unique word From Sheet 2Vlookup to return Unique Word ValueList of Unique WordsUnique word value
The cat jumped over the moon***Formula should return CAT***I can do Vlookup no problem herecatFurry
The dog ran to fetch the frisby***Formula should return DOG***dogFurry
The frog is croaking outside***Formula should return FROG***Fishslimy
The fish swims in its bowl***Formula should return FISH***Frognoisy

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
Hi

Code:
=LOOKUP(9^99,SEARCH(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5,C2),Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5)
=VLOOKUP(F2,Sheet2!$A$2:$B$5,2,FALSE)

Upvote 0
Hi Thanks for the solution. It is looking like it is returning the entire list, not the "matched" value.

Here is the Desired outcome.

Column C can have several of the same descriptions.

Desired outcome
Sheet 1
ABCDEFK
DateN/ADescriptionN/AN/AFormla to look at list of unique wordVlookup to return Unique Word Value
The cat jumped over the moon CATFURRY
The dog ran to fetch the frisby DOGFURRY
The frog is croaking outside FROGNOISY
The fish swims in its bowl FISHSLIMY

<colgroup><col><col><col><col span="3"><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It works fine in my sheet.
<table border='1' cellspacing='0' cellpadding='2' valign='middle' colspan='6' style='font-family:Calibri; color:#000000; border-collapse:collapse; background-color:#FFFFFF; font-size:11px; font-weight:normal; font-style:normal; '><colgroup><col width='28pt'><col width='149,25pt'><col width='24pt'><col width='24pt'><col width='66,75pt'><col width='93,75pt'></colgroup><tr style='background-color:#FAFAFA'><td align='middle' colspan='6'>Arbeitsblatt mit dem Namen 'Tabelle1'</td></tr><tr style='background-color:#cacaca'><td> </td><td align='middle'>C</td><td align='middle'>D</td><td align='middle'>E</td><td align='middle'>F</td><td align='middle'>G</td></tr><tr><td style='background-color:#cacaca' align='middle'>1</td><td align='left' >Description</td><td align='left' >N/A</td><td align='left' >N/A</td><td align='left' >Unique Word</td><td align='left' >Unique word value</td></tr><tr><td style='background-color:#cacaca' align='middle'>2</td><td align='left' >The cat jumped over the moon</td><td align='right' > </td><td align='right' > </td><td align='left' >cat</td><td align='left' >Furry</td></tr><tr><td style='background-color:#cacaca' align='middle'>3</td><td align='left' >The dog ran to fetch the frisby</td><td align='right' > </td><td align='right' > </td><td align='left' >dog</td><td align='left' >Furry</td></tr><tr><td style='background-color:#cacaca' align='middle'>4</td><td align='left' >The frog is croaking outside</td><td align='right' > </td><td align='right' > </td><td align='left' >Frog</td><td align='left' >noisy</td></tr><tr><td style='background-color:#cacaca' align='middle'>5</td><td align='left' style='border-bottom-left-radius: 0px;border-bottom-right-radius: 0px;' >The fish swims in its bowl</td><td align='right' style='border-bottom-left-radius: 0px;border-bottom-right-radius: 0px;' > </td><td align='right' style='border-bottom-left-radius: 0px;border-bottom-right-radius: 0px;' > </td><td align='left' style='border-bottom-left-radius: 0px;border-bottom-right-radius: 0px;' >Fish</td><td align='left' style='border-bottom-left-radius: 0px;border-bottom-right-radius: 0px;' >slimy</td></tr></table><br><table border='1' cellspacing='0' cellpadding='2' valign='middle' colspan='2' style='table-layout:auto; color:#000000; background-color:#FFFFFF; border-collapse:collapse; font-family:Calibri; font-size:11px;'><colgroup><col width='40pt'><col></colgroup><tr style='background-color:#eeaaaa'><td>Zelle</td><td>Formel</td></tr><tr><td style='border-bottom-left-radius: 0px;'>F2</td><td style='border-bottom-right-radius: 0px;'><Span style='color:#222222'>=LOOKUP</Span><Span style='color:#0000DD'>(999,SEARCH</Span><Span style='color:#222222'>(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5,C2)</Span><Span style='color:#0000DD'>,Sheet2!$A$2:$A$5)</Span><Span style='color:#222222'></Span></td></tr><tr><td style='border-bottom-left-radius: 0px;'>G2</td><td style='border-bottom-right-radius: 0px;'><Span style='color:#222222'>=VLOOKUP</Span><Span style='color:#0000DD'>(F2,Sheet2!$A$2:$B$5,2,FALSE)</Span><Span style='color:#222222'></Span></td></tr></table><table style='font-family:Arial; font-size:8px'><tr><td style='color:#333333'>Verwendete Systemkomponenten: [Windows (32-bit) NT 6.01] MS Excel 2016 </td></tr><tr><td style='color:#333333'>Diese Tabelle wurde mit Tab2Html (v2.6.0) erstellt. ©Gerd alias Bamberg</td></tr></table>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpierce

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back