How do I make an INDEX, MATCH, MINIF formula return a value NOT from a blank cell

TWienholz

Board Regular
Hello everyone. I have a product costs summary that I'm working on and in one cell I'm using a MIN(IF formula to calculate and display the minimum value in a range of cells that excludes any blank cells.

<style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Lucida Grande'; color: #000000}span.s1 {color: #005109}</style>[FONT=&quot]{=MIN(IF[/FONT][FONT=&quot]([/FONT][FONT=&quot]'Comparison Costs Sheet'!G3:'Comparison Costs Sheet'!G5=0,"",'Comparison Costs Sheet'!G3:'Comparison Costs Sheet'!G5[/FONT][FONT=&quot])[/FONT][FONT=&quot])}
[/FONT]
SUCCESSFUL

This formula works fine. However, in another cell, I am trying to also show the name of the product that this minimum value belongs to. If I add an INDEX, MATCH formula onto the front of the aforementioned formula, I get an error msg that says I have too many arguments for this function. If I remove the IF function altogether, the product name that is returned is the name that belongs to the blank value cell and NOT that of the lowest value, or the one that isn't zero.

<style type="text/css"> p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Lucida Grande'; color: #000000 } span.s1 {color: #005109 } span.s2 {color: #9900cc } </style>{=INDEX('Comparison Costs Sheet'!A3:'Comparison Costs Sheet'!A5,MATCH(MIN('Comparison Costs Sheet'!G3:'Comparison Costs Sheet'!G5),'Comparison Costs Sheet'!G3:'Comparison Costs Sheet'!G5,0))} INCORRECT VALUE

Can anyone help with the proper syntax to get this to work so that my costs summary is listing the lowest values and their product names correctly?

Thank you so much for any assistance you can lend!<style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Lucida Grande'; color: #000000}span.s1 {color: #005109}</style><style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Lucida Grande'; color: #000000}span.s1 {color: #005109}</style>

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Hi

Arbeitsblatt mit dem Namen 'Tabelle1'
AB
12C

<colgroup><col style="width: 28ptpx"><col width="60pt"><col width="60pt"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

ZelleFormel
A1=MIN('Comparison Costs Sheet'!G3:G5)
B1=INDEX('Comparison Costs Sheet'!$A$3:$A$5,MATCH(A1,'Comparison Costs Sheet'!$G$3:$G$5,0))

<colgroup><col style="width: 40ptpx"><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>
Verwendete Systemkomponenten: [Windows (32-bit) NT 6.01] MS Excel 2016
Diese Tabelle wurde mit Tab2Html (v2.6.0) erstellt. ©Gerd alias Bamberg

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Hi

Arbeitsblatt mit dem Namen 'Tabelle1'
AB
12C

<tbody>
</tbody>

ZelleFormel
A1=MIN('Comparison Costs Sheet'!G3:G5)
B1=INDEX('Comparison Costs Sheet'!$A$3:$A$5,MATCH(A1,'Comparison Costs Sheet'!$G$3:$G$5,0))

<tbody>
</tbody>
Verwendete Systemkomponenten: [Windows (32-bit) NT 6.01] MS Excel 2016
Diese Tabelle wurde mit Tab2Html (v2.6.0) erstellt. ©Gerd alias Bamberg

<tbody>
</tbody>

Thank you for replying. But this formula is still giving me the blank cell value and the blank cell name. I need it to give me the lowest value that is not 0 and that product's name. I can't have blank cells represented in my summary page. Does that explanation make sense?

Upvote 0
I figured it out. I wasn't telling it what cell to use as a reference cell to match the criteria. When I did that, it gave me the correct product name since the MINIF function was already ignoring the blank cell to get the value and I didn't need to use it again to display the name. I just had to refer to the value to match.

<style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px 'Lucida Grande'; color: #000000}span.s1 {color: #005109}span.s2 {color: #003ecc}</style>{=INDEX('Comparison Costs Sheet'!A3:'Comparison Costs Sheet'!A5,MATCH(Sheet2!C2,'Comparison Costs Sheet'!G3:'Comparison Costs Sheet'!G5,0))}

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As you can see in my solution there is no need for an IF() since MIN() already ignores blank cells and text values.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arbind kumar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back