R-9
D-10
S-11
D-15
R-13
L-6

<colgroup><col style="width:48pt" width="64"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>
I am trying to find a code where in the next column or somewhere else, the number that is the largest would show up, but only for that specific letter, so if I was trying to find the largest number from letter L it would be L - 15, and it would show up as that in the other column. And if I were to ask for the largest number for s, it would be S- 11.

Can someone help me?

Thank you.

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
I have a column with the data formatted like this:
I am trying to find a code where in the next column or somewhere else, the number that is the largest would show up, but only for that specific letter, so if I was trying to find the largest number from letter L it would be L - 15, and it would show up as that in the other column. And if I were to ask for the largest number for s, it would be S- 11.

Can someone help me?

Thank you.

Try this:
Type a letter in B1, run the macro, the result in C1.

Code:
[B][color=Royalblue]Sub[/color][/B] a1077550a()
[i][color=seagreen]'https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/1077550-xcel-vba-finding-max-number-column.html[/color][/i]
[B][color=Royalblue]Dim[/color][/B]  i [B][color=Royalblue]As[/color][/B]  [B][color=Royalblue]Long[/color][/B], m  [B][color=Royalblue]As[/color][/B] [B][color=Royalblue]Long[/color][/B]
[B][color=Royalblue]Dim[/color][/B] x [B][color=Royalblue]As[/color][/B] [B][color=Royalblue]String[/color][/B]
[B][color=Royalblue]Dim[/color][/B]  va [B][color=Royalblue]As[/color][/B]  [B][color=Royalblue]Variant[/color][/B], ar  [B][color=Royalblue]As[/color][/B]  [B][color=Royalblue]Variant[/color][/B]

va = Range([color=brown]"A1"[/color], Cells(Rows.count, [color=brown]"A"[/color]).[B][color=Royalblue]End[/color][/B](xlUp))
x = Range([color=brown]"B1"[/color])
[B][color=Royalblue]For[/color][/B]  i = [color=crimson]1[/color] [B][color=Royalblue]To[/color][/B]  UBound(va, [color=crimson]1[/color])
    ar = Split(va(i, [color=crimson]1[/color]), [color=brown]"-"[/color])
    [B][color=Royalblue]If[/color][/B] UCase(ar([color=crimson]0[/color])) = UCase(x) [B][color=Royalblue]Then[/color][/B]
         [B][color=Royalblue]If[/color][/B]  [B][color=Royalblue]CLng[/color][/B](ar([color=crimson]1[/color])) >=  m [B][color=Royalblue]Then[/color][/B] m =  [B][color=Royalblue]CLng[/color][/B](ar([color=crimson]1[/color]))
    [B][color=Royalblue]End[/color][/B] [B][color=Royalblue]If[/color][/B]
[B][color=Royalblue]Next[/color][/B]
Range([color=brown]"C1"[/color]) = m
[B][color=Royalblue]End[/color][/B] [B][color=Royalblue]Sub[/color][/B]

Excel 2007 32 bit
A
B
C
headerS
11​
L-15
S-6
L-7
L-8
R-9
D-10
S-11
D-15
R-13
L-6
Sheet: Sheet2

Upvote 0
With a formula

Excel 2013/2016
DE
1L-15S
2S-611
3L-7
4L-8
5R-9
6D-10
7S-11
8D-15
9R-13
10L-6
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
E2{=MAX((LEFT(D1:D10,1)=E1)*(RIGHT(D1:D10,LEN(D1:D10)-2)))}
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to enter array formulas.

Upvote 0
Hi, thank you very much for the quick reply, it worked really well and I also have modified it, so it works in userform.

Here is the code:

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
'https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/1077550-xcel-vba-finding-max-number-column.html
Dim i As Long, m As Long
Dim x As String
Dim va As Variant, ar As Variant

va = Range("A1", Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp))
x = TextBox1.Text
For i = 1 To UBound(va, 1)
ar = Split(va(i, 1), "-")
If UCase(ar(0)) = UCase(x) Then
If CLng(ar(1)) >= m Then m = CLng(ar(1))
End If
Next
TextBox2.Text = TextBox1.Text & "-" & m + 1
End Sub

It works, but I wanted to ask another question. If you know by any chance, can you make it so that all the numbers that are missing in the column, like here:

l-25
l-3
l-4
l-5
l-10
l-7
l-8

<colgroup><col style="width:48pt" width="64"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

There are numbers missing, so is there a way you can make it so not only would the largest number show up which it L-25, but as well as all the missing numbers that come between L-3 (which is the smallest number in the column) to L-25 (which is the biggest).

Thank you

Upvote 0
Hi, thank you very much for the quick reply, it worked really well and I also have modified it, so it works in userform.
There are numbers missing, so is there a way you can make it so not only would the largest number show up which it L-25, but as well as all the missing numbers that come between L-3 (which is the smallest number in the column) to L-25 (which is the biggest).

Thank you

Ok, try this:

Code:
[B][color=Royalblue]Sub[/color][/B] a1077550b()
[i][color=seagreen]'https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/1077550-xcel-vba-finding-max-number-column.html[/color][/i]
[B][color=Royalblue]Dim[/color][/B] i [B][color=Royalblue]As[/color][/B] [B][color=Royalblue]Long[/color][/B], a [B][color=Royalblue]As[/color][/B] [B][color=Royalblue]Long[/color][/B], b [B][color=Royalblue]As[/color][/B] [B][color=Royalblue]Long[/color][/B]
[B][color=Royalblue]Dim[/color][/B] x [B][color=Royalblue]As[/color][/B] [B][color=Royalblue]String[/color][/B], txt [B][color=Royalblue]As[/color][/B] [B][color=Royalblue]String[/color][/B]
[B][color=Royalblue]Dim[/color][/B] va [B][color=Royalblue]As[/color][/B] [B][color=Royalblue]Variant[/color][/B], ar [B][color=Royalblue]As[/color][/B] [B][color=Royalblue]Variant[/color][/B]
[B][color=Royalblue]Dim[/color][/B] d [B][color=Royalblue]As[/color][/B] [B][color=Royalblue]Object[/color][/B]

[B][color=Royalblue]Set[/color][/B] d = CreateObject([color=brown]"scripting.dictionary"[/color])
va = Range([color=brown]"A1"[/color], Cells(Rows.count, [color=brown]"A"[/color]).[B][color=Royalblue]End[/color][/B](xlUp))
x = Range([color=brown]"B1"[/color])

[B][color=Royalblue]For[/color][/B] i = [color=crimson]1[/color] [B][color=Royalblue]To[/color][/B] UBound(va, [color=crimson]1[/color])
        ar = Split(va(i, [color=crimson]1[/color]), [color=brown]"-"[/color])
        [B][color=Royalblue]If[/color][/B] UCase(ar([color=crimson]0[/color])) = UCase(x) [B][color=Royalblue]Then[/color][/B]
            d.Add [B][color=Royalblue]CLng[/color][/B](ar([color=crimson]1[/color])), [color=brown]""[/color]
        [B][color=Royalblue]End[/color][/B] [B][color=Royalblue]If[/color][/B]

a = Application.Min(d.Keys)
b = Application.Max(d.Keys)

[B][color=Royalblue]For[/color][/B] i = a [B][color=Royalblue]To[/color][/B] b
        [B][color=Royalblue]If[/color][/B] [B][color=Royalblue]Not[/color][/B] d.Exists(i) [B][color=Royalblue]Then[/color][/B] txt = txt & [color=brown]";"[/color] & i

txt = Right(txt, Len(txt) - [color=crimson]1[/color])
Range([color=brown]"C1"[/color]) = b
Range([color=brown]"D1"[/color]) = txt
[B][color=Royalblue]End[/color][/B] [B][color=Royalblue]Sub[/color][/B]

Excel 2007 32 bit
A
B
C
D
headerL
15​
8;9;11;12;13;14
L-15
S-6
L-7
L-10
R-9
D-10
S-11
D-15
R-13
L-6
Sheet: Sheet1

Upvote 0
The code works really well, but there is an error in in it. Whenever there is a duplicated number like lets say L-25 was shown up twice in the column, whenever I Run Sub/Userform an error sign would just show up. Is there a way to fix this?

Also one other questions.
So this is the code that we have modified:

Dim i As Long, a As Long, b As Long
Dim x As String, txt As String
Dim va As Variant, ar As Variant
Dim d As Object

Set d = CreateObject("scripting.dictionary")
va = Range("A1", Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp))
x = TextBox1.Text

For i = 1 To UBound(va, 1)
ar = Split(va(i, 1), "-")
If UCase(ar(0)) = UCase(x) Then
d.Add CLng(ar(1)), ""
End If
Next

a = 1
b = Application.Max(d.keys)

For i = a To b
If Not d.Exists(i) Then txt = txt & ";" & i
Next

txt = Right(txt, Len(txt) - 1)
TextBox2.Text = TextBox1.Text & "-" & b + 1
TextBox3.Text = txt <----------------------
End Sub

I have changed it so instead of the number sequence showing up on the spread sheet the sequence would show up in a text box like the arrow shows, can you make it so that it shows up in a list box in userform, if so that would be very helpful?

Thank you so much again.

Upvote 0
The code works really well, but there is an error in in it. Whenever there is a duplicated number like lets say L-25 was shown up twice in the column, whenever I Run Sub/Userform an error sign would just show up. Is there a way to fix this?

I have changed it so instead of the number sequence showing up on the spread sheet the sequence would show up in a text box like the arrow shows, can you make it so that it shows up in a list box in userform, if so that would be very helpful?

Thank you so much again.

Ok, try this:

Code:
[B][COLOR=Royalblue]Private[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR][/B] CommandButton1_Click()
[B][COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR][/B] i [B][COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=Royalblue]Long[/COLOR][/B], a [B][COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=Royalblue]Long[/COLOR][/B], b [B][COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=Royalblue]Long[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR][/B] x [B][COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=Royalblue]String[/COLOR][/B], txt [B][COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=Royalblue]String[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR][/B] va [B][COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=Royalblue]Variant[/COLOR][/B], ar [B][COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=Royalblue]Variant[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR][/B] d [B][COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=Royalblue]Object[/COLOR][/B]

[B][COLOR=Royalblue]Set[/COLOR][/B] d = CreateObject([COLOR=brown]"scripting.dictionary"[/COLOR])
va = Range([COLOR=brown]"A1"[/COLOR], Cells(Rows.Count, [COLOR=brown]"A"[/COLOR]).[B][COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR][/B](xlUp))
[I][COLOR=seagreen]'x = Range("B1")[/COLOR][/I]
x = TextBox1.Text
    [B][COLOR=Royalblue]For[/COLOR][/B] i = [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR] [B][COLOR=Royalblue]To[/COLOR][/B] UBound(va, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR])
        ar = Split(va(i, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]), [COLOR=brown]"-"[/COLOR])
        [B][COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR][/B] UCase(ar([COLOR=crimson]0[/COLOR])) = UCase(x) [B][COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR][/B]
           d([B][COLOR=Royalblue]CLng[/COLOR][/B](ar([COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]))) = [COLOR=brown]""[/COLOR]
        [B][COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR][/B]
    [B][COLOR=Royalblue]Next[/COLOR][/B]

a = [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]  [I][COLOR=seagreen]'Application.Min(d.Keys)[/COLOR][/I]
b = Application.Max(d.Keys)

[B][COLOR=Royalblue]For[/COLOR][/B] i = a [B][COLOR=Royalblue]To[/COLOR][/B] b
        [B][COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=Royalblue]Not[/COLOR][/B] d.Exists(i) [B][COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR][/B] txt = txt & [COLOR=brown]";"[/COLOR] & i
    [B][COLOR=Royalblue]Next[/COLOR][/B]

txt = Right(txt, Len(txt) - [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR])
TextBox2.Text = TextBox1.Text & [COLOR=brown]"-"[/COLOR] & b + [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]
[I][COLOR=seagreen]'TextBox3.text = txt[/COLOR][/I]
ListBox1.List = Split(txt, [COLOR=brown]";"[/COLOR])
[B][COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR=Royalblue]Sub[/COLOR][/B]

Upvote 0
Thank you so much...it works greatly and exactly how I envisioned it.

But one last question, if you're willing to help. I need one more code, it is an if condition, for example:

If textbox1.value "L" the do something
but the problem that I have is that the numbers in the textbox are changing always from 1 to beyond and the letter is the same, but sometimes there are two (the letters and numbers are the same as the reply's above). Is there a way to have a universal code.

Than you in advance.

Upvote 0
If textbox1.value "L" the do something
but the problem that I have is that the numbers in the textbox are changing always from 1 to beyond and the letter is the same, but sometimes there are two (the letters and numbers are the same as the reply's above). Is there a way to have a universal code.

I don't understand

that the numbers in the textbox are changing
in which textbox?

but sometimes there are two (the letters and numbers are the same as the reply's above)
2 letters where?

Can you explain the process of what you do step by step?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohitsomani

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back