New application Strategy

erutherford

I have out grown my current excel method and I have started to think a little more long term in the next phase. I now manage a number of customer's car collections, each with at least 6 or more cars. I currently keep a separate spreadsheet for each customer. When I make an improvement to a spreadsheet, I make that improvement to each of the spreadsheets. With the increase in the number of customers, its not very efficient.

What I like to be able to do is search on Customer name, that person's cars would then be displayed. I then could select the car and its history would be displayed.

Is it time to move to a traditional database or can excel handle this? I've looked into the pivot table and the "relationship" tables, with little success. If you think that is the answer, then I just have to go back and go through the "learning curve".

thoughts?

thanks as always to those that lend a hand.

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Each sheet in a workbook contains : 16,384 columns x 1,048,576 rows = 17,179,869,184 cells.

Large corporations use Excel for their Financial records.

The very design of Excel says it is capable of handling a small database such as yours.

Upvote 0
A Pivot table would be one approach. Regrettably I am not well versed with Pivot tables, hopefully someone else could assist in that regard.

There are other methods of creating a simple database for your purposes.

I've attached two examples for your review. One is a basic database that can be expanded upon. The other is a complete project that can be visually adapted to your needs. No need
to change the code.

And there are other ways of moving forward with your project as well. The use of joined List Boxes ... or even a simple application of the built-in DATA FILTER. That is located on the DATA tab menu.

Search the internet for descriptions and usage explanations for all of the above. That will hopefully assist you deciding which format you want to proceed with. And of course, asking more questions here.

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/F2uakfBoyilwsB7zK956VBNDaoUErRrgiJ7fiqlpJSj

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/share/549gK8Fp1aPg3FsGJe081t3yzPd5RdpZjzdxEhjTbYl

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you. I'll look into these two examples as well as looking into joined list boxes.
I am leaning towards the pivot tables, but we'll see if anyone else chimes in.
I like the search feature, that will definitely be in the build!

thanks again

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back