Data entry and validation with custom number formatting

Haui

Board Regular
Hi,

I am seeking a solution for the following topic:

- two cells have data validation set up as a list being {1,2,3,4,5}
- the first call has general number format while the second ons is formatted as a custom number format being: "0;;-"
- data entry in these cells is now possible either via the drop-down menu or directly into the cell
- however: while in the first cell manual data entries are possible as {1,2,3,4,5}, I can enter into the cell with custom number formatting only {1,2,3,4), i.e. neither the entries "0" nor its formatted 'value' of "-" are being permitted by the data validation

Is there a way to set this up differently, format it differently etc. so that I can input values into the cell containing the data validation also manually and not only via the drop-down (ideally in both ways, i.e. in the form of the actual data valiation ("0") as also in the form of the formatted 'value' ("-"))?

Thanks

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Is there a way to set this up differently, format it differently etc. so that I can input values into the cell containing the data validation also manually and not only via the drop-down (ideally in both ways, i.e. in the form of the actual data valiation ("0") as also in the form of the formatted 'value' ("-"))?

So I do not entirely understand this question but I do have two suggestions.
First: If you want your drop-down options to be formatted a certain way, rather than setting up a custom number format you could just format the selections correctly in the Data Validation list.
Second: You can allow custom entries in a data validated column by following the steps below

Select all of the applicable cells in the column, or the whole column
Go to the ribbon and select Data>Data Tools>Data Validation (looks like a check mark and no sign)
When the window pops up you can modify the list of acceptable entries and you can allow custom text by selecting the "Error Alert" and changing the style "Stop" to "Warning"
I hope that helps!
best,
Logan

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guy Boot

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back