Clicking different cells to open files

danielpalfrey

Hi guys. I have a spread sheet with multiple options on there. Previously I had used hyperlinks to link to word documents for the shipping labels but people are clicking by mistake a making a right hash of things so I am now looking at adding VBA code where you would double click a set cell and the appropriate word file will open. I have set up double click events before but never for this purpose.

Any input would be great.

Regards

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Whilst it is easy to write code for the double-click event to follow the hyperlink - it does not negate the fact that the user has clicked the hyperlink (and that click would need to be cancelled). Now it seems that there is no Cancel option for FollowHyperlink event. Therefore I suggest this approach:

Adapted from here: https://www.ozgrid.com/forum/forum/...isable-hyperlink-from-opening-until-confirmed

Rather than have the hyperlink address point to the file, have the link point back to the parent cell (i.e. itself). Then you can use the ScreenTip to hold the actual destination address. The following code will follow the address in the ScreenTip. This code belongs in the relevant sheet module.
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_FollowHyperlink(ByVal Target As Hyperlink)
    Dim strAddress          As String

Application.EnableEvents = False

strAddress = Target.Address

If CBool(Len(strAddress)) Then
        If MsgBox(Prompt:="Follow hyperlink?", Buttons:=vbYesNo + vbQuestion, Title:="Hyperlink Activated") = vbYes Then
            Call ThisWorkbook.FollowHyperlink(Address:=strAddress)
        End If
    End If

Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I had originally thought of using something like this

Sub Open_Word_Document() 'Open an existing Word Document from Excel Dim objWord As Object Set objWord = CreateObject("Word.Application") objWord.Visible = True 'Change the directory path and file name to the location 'of the document you want to open from Excel objWord.Documents.Open "C:\Documents\myfile.doc" End Sub

But this seems to target the whole spread sheet rather than a specific cell. If this can be made to target a specific cell then I can get this to work

Upvote 0
Whilst it is easy to write code for the double-click event to follow the hyperlink - it does not negate the fact that the user has clicked the hyperlink (and that click would need to be cancelled). Now it seems that there is no Cancel option for FollowHyperlink event. Therefore I suggest this approach:

Adapted from here: https://www.ozgrid.com/forum/forum/...isable-hyperlink-from-opening-until-confirmed

Rather than have the hyperlink address point to the file, have the link point back to the parent cell (i.e. itself). Then you can use the ScreenTip to hold the actual destination address. The following code will follow the address in the ScreenTip. This code belongs in the relevant sheet module.
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_FollowHyperlink(ByVal Target As Hyperlink)
    Dim strAddress          As String

Application.EnableEvents = False

strAddress = Target.Address

If CBool(Len(strAddress)) Then
        If MsgBox(Prompt:="Follow hyperlink?", Buttons:=vbYesNo + vbQuestion, Title:="Hyperlink Activated") = vbYes Then
            Call ThisWorkbook.FollowHyperlink(Address:=strAddress)
        End If
    End If

Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

I will give this a try. But there might be an issue because I have a double click event set up to expand/unhide hidden rows below.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jin kazuya

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back