Cursor Location After Pressing Enter Key

Terry Echols

I tried finding an answer but couldn't so I hope this is not a duplicate of a post with an answer.

On a newly created sheet when you tab across and then finally hit "enter" the cursor goes to the next row and goes to column A (first column in my sheet). But, on my protected sheet when I hit the enter key the cursor moves down one line but stays in the same column. How can I get a protected sheet to work the same way as a new, non-protected sheet? I don't think there is anything special about the setup for the protected sheet but I could have missed something somewhere. I followed the directions here: Allow sorting and filtering in a protected sheet

Any ideas on what to do or what to check would be most helpful.
I'm using Office/Excel 365

Terry E

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
After hitting Enter it should return to the first column data was entered or changed.
You can have different behavior in a Table.

Upvote 0
After hitting Enter it should return to the first column data was entered or changed.
You can have different behavior in a Table.

That's just it, it does not work that way.

If I open Excel and start a new sheet that is EXACTLY the way if works, but on the protected sheet "enter" does not operate that same.

To see what I mean, follow the links instructions and test on a sheet for yourself. I have killed and recreated so many sheets now that I'm throwing my hands up and letting the community here help me out.

Some additional details:

I needed to protect from editing the last 3 columns in the spreadsheet and I needed my co-workers to have column sort ability. I followed the instructions on that link and all works as it should EXCEPT the enter key returning to the next row and 1st column. I can't find a decent answer to this anywhere.

Terry E

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OK, I'll have to check that link at home.
Are you using Tables on your worksheet?

Upvote 0
I finally made it to the linked page and followed its instructions. However I did not find any abnormal behavior.
I did feel that using the TAB to proceed left to right to next row a more consistent experience.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uzair Tahir Khan

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back