nested if statement problem

monsierexcel

Hello all, i cant find why this doesnt work

=IF(VLOOKUP(C2,'cost prices'!$B:$J,9,0),VLOOKUP(C2,'cost prices'!$B:$J,9,0),IF(VLOOKUP(C2,'cost prices'!$B:$I,8,0),VLOOKUP(C2,'cost prices'!$B:$I,8,0),IF(VLOOKUP(C2,'cost prices'!$B:$H,7,0),VLOOKUP(C2,'cost prices'!$B:$H,7,0),IF(VLOOKUP(C2,'Kit Products Cost Prices'!$B:$J,9,0),VLOOKUP(C2,'Kit Products Cost Prices'!$B:$J,9,0),IF(VLOOKUP(C2,'Kit Products Cost Prices'!$B:$I,8,0),VLOOKUP(C2,'Kit Products Cost Prices'!$B:$I,8,0),IF(VLOOKUP(C2,'Kit Products Cost Prices'!$B:$H,7,0),VLOOKUP(C2,'Kit Products Cost Prices'!$B:$H,7,0),VLOOKUP(C2,'Kit Pricing not in AP'!$A:$B,2,0)))))))

when i look at function arguments for the line:

IF(VLOOKUP(C2,'Kit Products Cost Prices'!$B:$H,7,0),VLOOKUP(C2,'Kit Products Cost Prices'!$B:$H,7,0),VLOOKUP(C2,'Kit Pricing not in AP'!$A:$B,2,0)

which shows its finding the correct value yet it still showing an NA error on return :( i cant figure this when the condition is showing the right value at 154.08!

I know you can have upto 7 nested IF statements but i only have 6 here.

thank you,

Excel Facts

Did you know Excel offers Filter by Selection?
Add the AutoFilter icon to the Quick Access Toolbar. Select a cell containing Apple, click AutoFilter, and you will get all rows with Apple
That will produce NA error if whatever is in C2 is not found in column B of cost prices, if it is found in cost prices and they are all blank or 0 then it will NA error if not found in Kit Products Cost Prices etc.

Upvote 0
Is this what you are wanting to achieve

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(C2,'Kit Products Cost Prices'!$B:$H,7,0),IFERROR(VLOOKUP(C2,'Kit Pricing not in AP'!$A:$B,2,0),"NOT FOUND"))

Upvote 0
Where is the boolian argument in the if statement? VLOOKUP will return what it finds: 154.08 which is not true/false.

Upvote 0
if i produce this section of the formula as a seperate formula....

=IF(VLOOKUP(C2,'Kit Products Cost Prices'!$B:$H,7,0),VLOOKUP(C2,'Kit Products Cost Prices'!$B:$H,7,0),VLOOKUP(C2,'Kit Pricing not in AP'!$A:$B,2,0))

it produces the correct value of 154.08
so i am unsure why its showing N/a as all vlookup statements are correct??

When i nest this statement in here:
=IF(VLOOKUP(C2,'cost prices'!$B:$J,9,0),VLOOKUP(C2,'cost prices'!$B:$J,9,0),IF(VLOOKUP(C2,'cost prices'!$B:$I,8,0),VLOOKUP(C2,'cost prices'!$B:$I,8,0),IF(VLOOKUP(C2,'cost prices'!$B:$H,7,0),VLOOKUP(C2,'cost prices'!$B:$H,7,0),IF(VLOOKUP(C2,'Kit Products Cost Prices'!$B:$J,9,0),VLOOKUP(C2,'Kit Products Cost Prices'!$B:$J,9,0),IF(VLOOKUP(C2,'Kit Products Cost Prices'!$B:$I,8,0),VLOOKUP(C2,'Kit Products Cost Prices'!$B:$I,8,0),IF(VLOOKUP(C2,'Kit Products Cost Prices'!$B:$H,7,0),VLOOKUP(C2,'Kit Products Cost Prices'!$B:$H,7,0),VLOOKUP(C2,'Kit Pricing not in AP'!$A:$B,2,0)))))))

it fails?

Upvote 0
Then its failing before that statement is reached. It may be better to say what you are attempting to do.

Upvote 0
i am trying to retrieve information from 3 possible columns first in column J, then if no value look in column I, then if no value look in column H in "cost prices", however if the value is not found i in those 3 columns, then must look in column J of "Kit products Cost price", if its not found in there it then needs to look in column B of "kit pricing not in AP"

Upvote 0
Have a look at post#3
The method should work for you

Start with
=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(C2,'Kit Pricing not in AP'!$A:$B,2,0),"NOT FOUND")
then
IFERROR(VLOOKUP(...),IFERROR(VLOOKUP(C2,'Kit Pricing not in AP'!$A:$B,2,0),"NOT FOUND"))
then
IFERROR(VLOOKUP(...),IFERROR(VLOOKUP(...),IFERROR(VLOOKUP(C2,'Kit Pricing not in AP'!$A:$B,2,0),"NOT FOUND")))
etc

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back