Locking Cells

datadummy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
So I currently have 2 excel files that are identical and file 1 is where data gets entered and it feeds file 2. What I am wondering is it possible to lock a cell in either file once the data has been entered and saved? I am trying to avoid any potential for data in file 1 being deleted by having it locked either in file 1 or 2.

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
The only thing I can think of is to use a worksheet change event (VBA); however, that could easily make your spreadsheet very slow if we are talking large amounts of cells.

What are you trying to solve exactly? In that, are you worried that you will accidently erase it, that a coworker will accidently erase it, someone will erase it on purpose, etc.

Upvote 0
Its function is to serve as a tracking log for when employees work in other departments they can enter that time onto their spreadsheet which is on a department drive and it feeds to the managers file on their personal drive at which point the manager can track all workings in other departments. The concern is that either accidently or intentionally that data may get deleted, changed after its initial entry, so my hope was that once the data is entered and saved initially that it would be able to lock either on the front end or back end so that the employee will get the credit due.

Upvote 0
Ah.

If I were trying to do that, I would write code that copied/pasted the information, rather than using a formula. Then make a submission button that the user presses after entering their time.

Do you ever write in VBA? If not, tell me what columns are being used, what the first cell address is in each of said columns, and what the workbook(s)/worksheet(s) are named. I will write you something, this is pretty quick.

Upvote 0
The columns of use are B- N, then within each column its broke down into sections of 4 rows. For example Employee A will populate cells B2-B4 for one month then cells C2-C4 for the next month. There are 59 employees in column A and each employees row(s) consists of the 4rows starting with B2-B4. Let me know if this makes sense or not, I'm trying to attach the file or at least a screen shot to help explain, but am having no success.

Upvote 0
I am not versed in writing VBA. Did my post below offer enough information for writing a VBA script?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aivin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back