Single line graph different colours

marc01

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I have 2 criteria, and based on which one is rtue I would like the colour of a line on the line graph to change.

I am doing this for points in a tennis match to show the momentum changes.

If Roger Federer wins the point the line graph goes up by 1, is Novak Djokovic wins a point the line goes down by 1. This is simple enough, however I would like the line to be blue when Federer is serving, and red when Djokovic is serving.

I have columns of data detailing the server, and who won the point. I have also then created another column titled 'Momentum'. The values here go up by 1 or down by 1 depending on who wins the point. I can use this to plot a line graph but have had not luck in altering line colour to show who is serving.

Thanks

Marc

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.
Hi, I suggest you use two data series, with your data laid out something like this

FEDERER........DJOKOVIC
2...................2 (at this point, the service changes from Fed to Djok)
3...................3 (at this point, the service changes from Djok to Fed)

and so on.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply.

I have tried this in the past and it partially works....I get two different lines for each player when serving, however it leaves a gap between the points when they stop. For example when Federer stops serving with a data point at 2....if won the point to make the data point 3 this would be the score when Djokovic starts to serve. Therefore Federer line finishes at 2, but Djokovic line starts at 3. I have tried to connect gaps in the select data option, however this connects gaps between the data within the array as opposed to the next piece of data.

I'm getting closer!

Thanks,

Marc

Upvote 0
If you need more help with this, can you post a SMALL sample of your data please, so that we can see what's happening ?

Be sure to include at least one of these changeovers.

Upvote 0
Here is a small sample of the data:

Federer Djokovic

<colgroup><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

I can't seem to post an image on here, however as can be seen with the above data, the Federer first line will stop at -2, however the Djokovic line will pick up from -3, this leaving a gap between the two line.

Unsure if there is another way around it, but I think I have figured out a work around. Take the first value for Djokovic (-3 in the sample above), copy this and paste it in the Federer data series. This appears to join the lines together as would be expected.

Many thanks,

Marc

Upvote 0
Yes that's exactly it, as I said in post #2 :)

Not sure how you're compiling your data, but rather than copying / pasting, you might be able to do something with formulas that makes the process more automatic.

Upvote 0
yes I agree, think I will need to explore macros and see if that helps :confused:
Thanks again for all of your help, it is much appreciated.
Best,
Marc

Upvote 0
Hi, I don't think you need macros for this.

If your source data is exactly as described in post #5 , then you can stick in a couple of helper columns that take your data and add in duplicate values whenever the serve changes.
Then use the data in your helper columns to drive the chart.

Upvote 0
Hi Gerald.

Ah okay I will give that a try and see what I can return. Suspect I'll need an array formula with INDEX,MATCH and ISBLANK functions. Might pester you again if my novice skill can't step up!

Best,

Marc

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRealJoaquin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back