Two new identical machines with latest Excel, simple macro takes 20x as long on one vs the other

relaxok

I noticed one of two nearly identical machines going FAR slower on the same Excel code.

So then I made a test macro that is nothing but a while loop comparing a test string against 80,000 cells, 1 by 1 - in a brand new xlsm document.

I'm running it on two new Windows 10 installs with current Excel 365 and pretty much everything similar between the two.

On one machine, the macro takes 0.8 seconds to run. On the other it takes 14.5 seconds or so.

I've benchmarked the two machines with novabench and they score similarly for CPU/RAM tests. I haven't installed any add-ins or anything. This is just 2 fresh installs.

Is there anything I can possibly do to figure out what's slowing one of them down?

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
To me, it sounds like the install of Excel maybe slightly "corrupted" on one machine ?
Everything you've tested sounds like both machines are identical except when it comes to Excel.

Upvote 0
To me, it sounds like the install of Excel maybe slightly "corrupted" on one machine ?
Everything you've tested sounds like both machines are identical except when it comes to Excel.

Yeah I don't know what else it would be- I did a full 'repair' on office 365, but maybe i'll do a complete re-install now.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alrossman

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back