Two UDF Functions with the same name

andreascostas

Board Regular
OK. I have two UDF functions both named the same thing: :Decompose", each one decomposes a number
but in different format. Now i need to use both functions in the same worksheet, but excel won't let me do that.
How do I go about doing that.
Here are the functions:

Function Decompose(ByVal Number As String) As String
Dim X As Long
Number = Replace(Number, ",", "")
If Number = 0 Then
Decompose = "0 ones"
Else
For X = Len(Number) To 1 Step -1
If Mid(Number, X, 1) Then Decompose = Mid(Number, X, 1) & Choose(Len(Number) - X + 1, " ones", " tens", " hundreds", " thousands", " ten thousands", " hundreds thousands") & " + " & Decompose
Next
Decompose = Left(Decompose, Len(Decompose) - 3)
End If
End Function

second function

Function Decompose(ByVal Number As String) As String
Dim X As Long
If Number = 0 Then
Decompose = "0 ones"
Else
If Mid(Number, X, 1) Then Decompose = Mid(Number, X, 1) & Choose(Len(Number) - X + 1, " x 1)", " x 10)", " x 100)", " x 1,000)", " x 10,000)", " x 100,000)") & " + " & Decompose
Next
End If
End Function

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Hi andreascostas,

Have one function but pass in a second parameter which will determine which If statement to use based on what logic you have used to split the UDF's.

HTH

Robert

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just like now you pass in a number for the function to work, you can pass another one. Have a look at the following where I'd added a boolean variable to determine how the number is displayed:

Code:
Function Decompose(ByVal Number As String, blnNumeric As Boolean) As String
    Dim X As Long
    If Number = 0 Then
        Decompose = "0 ones"
    Else
        If blnNumeric = False Then
                If Mid(Number, X, 1) Then Decompose = Mid(Number, X, 1) & Choose(Len(Number) - X + 1, " ones", " tens", " hundreds", " thousands", " ten thousands", " hundreds thousands") & " + " & Decompose
            Next X
        ElseIf blnNumeric = True Then
                If Mid(Number, X, 1) Then Decompose = Mid(Number, X, 1) & Choose(Len(Number) - X + 1, " x 1)", " x 10)", " x 100)", " x 1,000)", " x 10,000)", " x 100,000)") & " + " & Decompose
            Next X
        End If
    End If
End Function

So you would use:
=Decompose(526333,FALSE) or =Decompose(526333,0) to display the number as 5 hundreds thousands + 2 ten thousands + 6 thousands + 3 hundreds + 3 tens + 3 ones or use:
=Decompose(526333,TRUE) or =Decompose(526333,1) to display it as 5 x 100,000) + 2 x 10,000) + 6 x 1,000) + 3 x 100) + 3 x 10) + 3 x 1)

Regards,

Robert

Upvote 0
Well, I just replaced the word "decompose" in one of the functions. This way I was able to heve both of them in the same workbook.
It worked. Thank you for your help.

Upvote 0
Yes that will work but you essentially have two identical functions bar one line which seems like a lot of wastage to me. I would personally use one function with two parameters as I've shown above but it's up to you.

I'm glad you got it sorted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is even more succinct:

Code:
    Dim X As Long
    If Number = 0 Then
        Decompose = "0 ones"
    Else
            End If
        Next X
    End If
End Function

Upvote 0
This is even more succinct:

Rich (BB code):
    Dim X As Long
    If Number = 0 Then
        Decompose = "0 ones"
    Else
                If Mid(Number, X, 1) Then Decompose = "(" & Mid(Number, X, 1) & Choose(Len(Number) - X + 1, " x 1)", " x 10)", " x 100)", " x 1,000)", " x 10,000)", " x 100,000)") & " + " & Decompose
            End If
        Next X
    End If
End Function
You omitted the opening parenthesis shown in red above. Also, I think there is something wrong with your output for Number equal to 0, but I did not attempt to fix it.

With that said, here is an even more succinct version of the Decompose function...
Code:
[table="width: 500"]
[tr]
	[td]Function Decompose(ByVal Number As String, blnNumeric As Boolean) As String
  Dim X As Long, Txt As Variant
  Txt = Split("0 ones,ones,tens,hundreds,thousands,ten thousands,hundred thousands,0 x 1,x 1,x 10,x 100,x 1|000,x 10|000,x 100|000", ",")
    If Val(Mid(Number, Len(Number) - X + 1, 1)) = 0 Imp Len(Number) = 1 Then Decompose = Decompose & " + " & IIf(blnNumeric, "(", "") & Mid(Number, Len(Number) - X + 1, 1) & " " & Txt(X - 7 * blnNumeric) & IIf(blnNumeric, ")", "")
  Next
  Decompose = Replace(Mid(Decompose, 4), "|", ",")
End Function[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi Rick,

That's how the OP had posted the original code which I just tried to incorporate into a single UDF. Thanks for posting your solution.

Regards,

Robert

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks Rick :)
You are quite welcome. Just wondering... did you see the second comment I made about your code regarding the output for 0 (I made the change at the last minute maybe 3 or 4 minutes before you posted, so it may have crossed with your post "in the ether")?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back