not exact search help

ALINCO

Hi all, I don't do spread sheets often and so am not fluent at all. I have muddled my way to a point that has given me an "almost working to my needs" data base.
I have 4 sets of drawer units
Column "A" lists up to 1006 electronic components.
Column "B" lists 4 x 50 drawer units containing resistors, transistors, capacitors etc
Column "C" lists the individual drawers / 3 partitions
Column "D" lists the 3 partitions within each drawer... 3,2,1
Formula below is in "H,I,J" 3 down to 10 to output, from "H16" search cell, 3 results.

{=IF(ISERROR(INDEX($A$1:$B$1006,SMALL(IF($A$1:$A$1006=$H$16,ROW($A$1:$A$1006)),ROW(1:1)),2)),"",INDEX($A$1:$B$1006,SMALL(IF($A$1:$A$1006=$H$16,ROW($A$1:$A$1006)),ROW(1:1)),2))}

(Obviously this is slightly different for the other two columns.)

If I search for "SY320" the output cells return "3,8,2", drawer set 3, drawer 8, section 2.
If I search for "SY360" the output cells return "3,8,2", drawer set 3, drawer 9, section 3.

Could anyone give me the formula or alter the above that allows me to input search for example "SY" to return both the above results, and indeed any other combination of input string.

Thank you and apologies in advance for any error in etiquette regarding terminology or my posting method if incorrect.

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Firstly try this array formula
=INDEX($A$1:$B$1000,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH($H$16,$A$1:$A$1000)),ROW($A$1:$A$1000)),ROW(A1)),2)
Secondly what version of Xl are you running?

Upvote 0
Maybe easier on you...

Control+shift+enter, not just enter, and copy down:

=IFERROR(INDEX($B$1:$B$1006,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("SY",$A$1:$A$1006)),ROW($B$1:$B$1006)-ROW($B$1)+1),ROW($1:1))),"")

Upvote 0
Wow thanks Fluff. Running 2010. I have tried it in column "B" only so far. It will obviously be ok in the other columns with tweaking. I believe there is a way of avoiding #NUM ! that is populating unused cells down the results table.

Also I would like to add a 4th column "E" to populate column "K" with hyperlinks to corresponding PDF data sheets for the components... Possible?

Upvote 0
Thank you, SY is an example only. It could be any combination of number and/or letters....

Upvote 0
In that case you can use IfError as shown by Aladin rather than If(IsError
=IFERROR(INDEX($A$1:$B$1000,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH($H$16,$A$1:$A$1000)),ROW($A$1:$A$1000)),ROW(A1)),2),"")

Upvote 0
You're welcome & thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spamiki

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back