File A has if statements that reference a tab in File B. Eventually DESIGN tab from file A gets dragged into File B. Can this be done without creati

dollada06

Apologies for my less descriptive title. There is more nuance to the situation, but I couldn't fit it in a short title.

Background:
The situation I am dealing with is this. We have a master takeoffs spreadsheet that we've created with about 8 different tabs in it. For the longest time there was a DESIGN tab which is what I deal with. I would make changes to it then submit it to one of our engineers and he would add it to the template file. He is notoriously slow at it though. So when I submit something to him it is literally months until he gets it added. That doesn't work for me and my team of designers. I wanted to make our tab usable whether it is in his the master takeoffs spreadsheet or not.

Current approach:
I created a design tab that I am hoping can be dropped into the main takeoffs spreadsheet when it is needed, rather than it needing to be there from the get go in order for us to do our job. Is there a different way to set up IF statements in my DESIGN tab where I wouldn't get broken links and errors if I were to do something like the following:

=if(A1="YES",TAKEOFFS!R1, "ENTER PROJECT NAME")

Right now when I try to do this obviously I get notifications to update links and when I initially set up those links I get the popup window looking for the file to link those to. Is there a way to essentially make those links "dormant" for the lack of a better explanation until a time where I change the value of A1 from "NO" to "YES"? Whenever I set that value to "YES" it would be pulling the values from within the same excel file that the DESIGN tab was dropped into. Just a different tab called TAKEOFFS.

Does anyone know a way to do this? Preferably without VBA, but if I have to I will.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Which lookup functions find a value equal or greater than the lookup value?
MATCH uses -1 to find larger value (lookup table must be sorted ZA). XLOOKUP uses 1 to find values greater and does not need to be sorted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max_pedreira

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back