Text value ('## Minutes') to hours.

GR00007

Board Regular
I have a formula that works, but was wondering if there's a more efficient way of doing this.
The challenge: Trying to parse values like "30 Minutes" and "2 Hours" and "1.5" to a time value.
Formula that is working:
=IF(TYPE(E2)=1,E2,IF(IFERROR(FIND("MINU",UPPER(E2)),0) > 0,VALUE(LEFT(E2,FIND("MINU",UPPER(E2)) -1)) / 60,IF(IFERROR(FIND("HOUR",UPPER(E2)),0) > 0,VALUE(LEFT(E2,FIND("HOUR",UPPER(E2)) -1)),E2)))

This is kinda cludgy - looking for a more elegant way.

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
=IFERROR(VALUE(LEFT(E2,SEARCH("m",E2)-1))/60, IFERROR(VALUE(LEFT(E2,SEARCH("h",E2)-1)), E2))

That allows for "m", "min", "minute" as well as "minutes" and "h", "hr", "hour" as well as "hours".

It is case-insensitive (SEARCH instead of FIND).

Testing for ISNUMBER(E2) first might be more effiicient, but generally, it is superfluous. It is covered by the failure of both IFERROR conditions.

Usually, I would write --LEFT(...) instead of VALUE(LEFT(...)). But IIRC, there are circumstances where VALUE(string) is more forgiving of spaces than --"string". Hmm, but not according to my latest testing. Oh well, your choice.

BTW, this returns decimal hours, like your original formula, not what I would call a "time value". IMHO, the latter term refers to Excel time, which is of the form h:m:s .

PS.... That formula returns zero if E2 is empty (no value), like your original formula.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply - much appreciated. Using Search instead of Find is definitely the way to go, I'm a bit hesitant to use "m" to indicate minute just in case somebody used "month" (I doubt millennium would be used), and I'd want "month" to remain [I'll check for "min"]. For Hours "h" should suffice, I can't think of any other common time text. Yes, IFERROR would cover for unexpected text - wouldn't checking first for numeric be a bit more efficient since the string manipulation would bypassed? I apologize for saying 'time value', you are quite correct I wanted decimal.

Upvote 0
wouldn't checking first for numeric be a bit more efficient since the string manipulation would bypassed?

.... Which is why I wrote: "Testing for ISNUMBER(E2) first might be more effiicient". If you are asking how to do that....

=IF(ISNUMBER(E2), E2, IFERROR(VALUE(LEFT(E2,SEARCH("m",E2)-1))/60, IFERROR(VALUE(LEFT(E2,SEARCH("h",E2)-1)), E2)))

Whether it is more or less efficient depends on the likelihood of having just numeric input and how many times you will have a formula of that form.

You can make your test for "minute" or "hour" as restrictive as you like. An afterthought: It might be better to test for " m" and " h" (leading space), if you want to avoid misinterpreting interstitial "m" and "h". But that does presume that you want to disallow (not recognize) something like 123minutes .

Upvote 0
I just think being efficient is preferable unless it adds too much complexity.
IFERROR(VALUE(LEFT(E2,SEARCH("min",E2)-1))/60,E2) will ignore a trailing space of "123 Minutes" while still picking up "123minutes", both returning 2.05; while "123 Months" will hit the error and remain as "123 Months"; anything other than a leading text portion of "m" or "h" would cause the result to be caught by the corresponding IFERROR which is what is desired.
I would like to say thank you again for the quick response and better formula than the one I originally posted.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back