Nested IF statement with FIND

BRYANTASCENSION

Hello. I am trying to do a nested IF statement returning a different value if criteria is met. When I use one value to find, it works fine.

=IF(FIND("NET A", A2)=1, "NET ASSETS", "")

If I try adding additional criteria, it results in an error.

=IF(FIND("NET A", A2)=1, "NET ASSETS", "", IF(FIND("ALPHA FUNDS", A2)=1, "ALPHA", ""))

I know my syntax is wrong but I do not know how to fix. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
Hi & welcome to MrExcel
Try
=IF(FIND("NET A", A2)=1, "NET ASSETS", IF(FIND("ALPHA FUNDS", A2)=1, "ALPHA", ""))

Upvote 0
Try

=IF(IFERROR(FIND("NET A", A2),0)=1, "NET ASSETS", IF(IFERROR(FIND("ALPHA FUNDS", A2),0)=1, "ALPHA", ""))

M.

Upvote 0
If you have multiple criteria, then this construction might be easier to modify:

=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2^15,FIND({"NET A","ALPHA FUNDS"},A2),{"NET ASSETS","ALPHA"}),"")

The search criteria are in the first array, the corresponding result in the second array. Note that this will find the search criteria anywhere in the A2 cell, not just the 1st position.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Here's another way if you Don't require the formula to be case-sensitive:

=IF(LEFT(A2,5)="NET A","NET ASSETS",IF(LEFT(A2,11)="ALPHA FUNDS","ALPHA",""))

Upvote 0
If you have multiple criteria, then this construction might be easier to modify:

=IFERROR(LOOKUP(2^15,FIND({"NET A","ALPHA FUNDS"},A2),{"NET ASSETS","ALPHA"}),"")

The search criteria are in the first array, the corresponding result in the second array. Note that this will find the search criteria anywhere in the A2 cell, not just the 1st position.

Hi there, I know this is an old post but the quoted formula has helped me 100% so thank you, but I need to know why the 2^15 inside the LOOKUP part of the formula? I've tried looking it up (pun not intended lol) but all I'm getting is it's supposed to represent 2x2 15 times? (Which equals 32,768) not sure what that has to do with the value for LOOKUP when we're looking for strings?

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
the largest number of characters allowed in a cell is 32767 or 2^15-1
Having a lookup value of 2^15 therefore guarantees that that value will be larger than anything that SEARCH returns

Upvote 0
the largest number of characters allowed in a cell is 32767 or 2^15-1
Having a lookup value of 2^15 therefore guarantees that that value will be larger than anything that SEARCH returns

You sir are a legend! I can't wait to implement this into my macro!
Also thank you for your swift reply :)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prabhuk279

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back