INDEX MATCH #N/A error - number stored as text

MonkeyFace28

Board Regular
Hey all,

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to read my query.

I have the below formula, I am getting an #N/A error despite the data being present. I think I have narrowed the error down to the cells and the fact there are text and numbers in the same cell stored as text.*

formula looks like this = =(INDEX('Aged Analysis of Debtors'!$L3,MATCH($A3,'Aged Analysis of Debtors'!$A$3:$K$401,0)))

The reason for this being that it's invoice numbers that "stupidly" start with a "0" so they have them written in excel as "INV 0518561" this is my look up value though...

My question is - does anyone know how to get around this - I've had a quick search but couldn't find anything for keeping the cell as it is now.

thanks peeps :)

Steph x

* - p.s I know I can put an IFERROR at the front but then I wouldn't get my data :)

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
I'm assuming that A3 refers to the invoice number, e.g. "INV 0518561" in your current worksheet? Where would this appear in your 'Aged Analysis of Debtors' worksheet? If it's in column A, and starts from row 3 and finished at row 401, your formula should read):

=INDEX('Aged Analysis of Debtors'!$L3,MATCH($A3,'Aged Analysis of Debtors'!$A$3:$A$401,0))

Upvote 0
Is the Index range a mistake? Just L3!
Also the match range?

I'm assuming that A3 refers to the invoice number, e.g. "INV 0518561" in your current worksheet? Where would this appear in your 'Aged Analysis of Debtors' worksheet? If it's in column A, and starts from row 3 and finished at row 401, your formula should read):

=INDEX('Aged Analysis of Debtors'!$L3,MATCH($A3,'Aged Analysis of Debtors'!$A$3:$A$401,0))

Thanks for your replies guys. I have just been told by the boss that this sheet isn't needed now as they can set up a report straight from the system... I don't know, you try to help someone out and they throw it back in your face :(

Thanks again for trying to help :) xx

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back