Countifs multiple criteria dropdown list

hasmani

Hi all,

My first time ever posting a question on a forum, but after using google for 2 days to find an answer I have given up on google. And after searching for best excel forum, MrExcel.com came out on top. I hope you can help me with your knowledge.

I am trying to use countifs to sort data. I have made a dropdown selection list based on three topics: location /function and segment. I want to be able to select between different locations, functions and segments to sort the data but also be able to only select one topic to sort the data.

Locations: No selection, Amsterdam, Paris, Madrid and London.
Function: No selection, Banker and Assistant.
Segment: No selection, Master and Explore.

If I use the countifs function: =countifs(source[location],$A$1,source[function],$A$2,source[segment],$A$3) I am able to sort the data on three criteria. But I want to be able to also sort the data on 1 or 2 out of 3 criteria. So I want to be able to select "No selection" on location, "Banker" on function and "Master" on segment to see all the data for Bankers in the Master segment for all the locations. Or select "No selection" for location /function and "Master" for segment to see all the data for Master for Bankers and Assistants in all the locations.

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Welcome to the forum.

If instead of saying "No selection" in the drop-down, you use a "*", then you could use the formula as-is. If you want to leave it as "No selection", you could do something like:

=COUNTIFS(Source[location],IF($A$1="No selection","*",$A$1),Source[function],IF($A$2="No selection","*",$A$2),Source[segment],IF($A$3="No selection","*",$A$3))

I'm not sure what you mean about sorting the data though, this formula only counts certain rows.

Upvote 0
Hi Eric,

Thank you for your response. The solutions you gave are not working properly for example if I set all the topics on "No Selection" It should count 0 but it counts 24. Also it counts 24 Bankers but there are 27 Bankers in total.

I tried both the solutions you suggested.

I'm not sure what you mean about sorting the data though, this formula only counts certain rows.

I'm sorry you're right. I mean count.

Upvote 0
So are you saying that if one of the dropdowns says No selection, you want it to count nothing? As long as none of the items in your data columns say "No selection", then your original formula should work fine. You'd need to make an actual selection on all 3 dropdowns to get something to count.

Perhaps if you could show a small sample and the expected results, it would help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes so out of 3 dropdowns, if one says "No Selection" the formula should count that dropdown as 0 and show the counts of the other two dropdowns. For example if I want to see all counts for the bankers in all of the locations I want to select "No Selection" on location and segment but select "Banker" on function. Countifs formula should then give me the count for all Bankers in all the locations. If I select "No Selection" on location, "Banker" on function and "Master" on segment, it should show me all the Bankers with Master segment.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/61abia4zi44ucld/example.xlsx?dl=0

Above a link to an example file I made. In the middle you will see the selection options and on the right it should give me a view and the count.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hengshankouniuniu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back