Dynamic Correlation (possible PivotTable)

CJG5667

I am trying to figure out a way to do dynamic correlation between variables by choosing start and end date, (Vertical Column A), and doing correlation between 2 different columns of values. The kicker is there is also a column of identifiers in Column B. So i'd like to select correlation between the identifiers in column B vs another item in column B, using the start and end dates in column A, but selecting values in C and D or C and E of C and F...ETC

I've figured out how to do this without the identifiers by using but this is missing the identifier selection.
(=CORREL(INDEX(A1:F12,MATCH(J2,A1:A12,0),MATCH(K2,A1:F1,0)):INDEX(A1:F12,MATCH(J3,A1:A12,0),MATCH(K2,A1:F1,0)),INDEX(A1:F12,MATCH(J2,A1:A12,0),MATCH(K3,A1:F1,0)):INDEX(A1:F12,MATCH(J3,A1:A12,0),MATCH(K3,A1:F1,0)))

Unfortunately the program I use gives data in this way. Id like to see the correlation between A and C, for dates 2015-2016, and values 1 and 3 for instance. I realize there has to be an easier way to do this. I've only used pivots briefly but realize there may be some utility there.

DateIdentifierValue 1Value 2Value 3
12/31/15A132
12/31/16B523
12/31/17C424
12/31/15A331
12/31/16B323
12/31/17C131

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Hi CJG,
I guess a Pivot is indeed a good first step. I'm assuming your data has a bunch of dates and only one row for a given date-identifier combination?
Step by step (i'm translating my NL version of Excel 365, so hope the button names match my description):
-select your data range and click "create pivot"
-drag the Identifier to "columns", Date to "rows" and e.g. Value 1 to "Values". Note: with date it might aggregate to years/quarters in the newer Excel versions, if so: right click on a cell and click "remove grouping".
-on the pivot, select the "design" menu and "subtotals"->off, "End totals"->off for rows and columns, Report design->"Table view" and Report design->repeat all item labels.
That should be the basis on which it's rather easy to do a CORREL function, it basically prepared the data for you.

Hope that helps,

Koen

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruhulaminappu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back