extracting info

Countryboy69

Board Regular
is there a macro that once an external file is open it pulls certain info from it and plugs it in to various sheets?

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
I'm already running a macro that will open a certain file now I need one to pull a few cells of info out and place them to various sheets according to input on the master sheet

Upvote 0
How about setting out exactly what it is your proposed macro is supposed to achieve - including relevant workbook/worksheet names, cell addresses and so on. Doling it out piecemeal is a sure way of guaranteeing minimal interest and maximum frustration.

Upvote 0
I want it to look up a workbook from a designated input cell, then search that workbook for match based on another cell input once that is achieved it needs to pull from that row a few cells of info. I'd like the macro to activate if a certain cell is filled hope this makes sense

Upvote 0
Ok here's a question what function would I use to have multiple rows insert data on another sheet until another column cell is entered (ex. Enter input into an A cell all B cells after that go to sheet 2 where the A cell is copied to until another A cell is inputted then the B cells under it go to the second A cell that was created on sheet 2) I've looked and looked cant find any answers please help just need a nudge in the right direction

Upvote 0
Ok here's a question what function would I use to have multiple rows insert data on another sheet until another column cell is entered (ex. Enter input into an A cell all B cells after that go to sheet 2 where the A cell is copied to until another A cell is inputted then the B cells under it go to the second A cell that was created on sheet 2) I've looked and looked cant find any answers please help just need a nudge in the right direction

I’ve spent several minutes studying your post #7 , and I still am not exactly sure what you are trying to do. It seems as if you want some data from one sheet, (but which one?) to appear on sheet 2. If my assumptions are correct as to what you are trying to accomplish, I know of no one function that would be able to do what you want. A macro will have to be written. Looking at your sentence I’ve put in red, I have several questions. You say:

Code:
“Enter input into an ‘A’ cell” – but which cell? e.g. A1 or A2 or A3 etc.
“All ‘B’ cells after that” – sounds like perhaps several but how many? 
                                     - Is it always the same number?
                                     - I presume starting on the same row as what is in column ‘A’.
“go to sheet 2”               - Are the ‘B’ cells copied or moved to sheet 2? A big difference.
            At a guess, if they are copied, then it would appear as if both sheets are the same,
            in which case your source data may be able to be blocked and sent to sheet 2 that 
            way.
You had said in your post [URL=https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=6]#6[/URL] , that you would like the macro to be activated if a certain cell is filled. Which cell?

It would be a big help to us if we could see a sample of your data. If it is confidential, make up something that represents the layout of your source data sheet and also how you want the destination, (sheet 2) to look like. Use the same data from one sheet to the next so we can follow it as it is processed.

Do you have any code already written? If so, let us see what you have because that is always a big help. If it only partially works, where does it stop and what are the error messages? If you have some code, please enclose it within the code blocks. If you aren’t sure how to do this, highlight all your code, then click on the # button along the top of your screen.

e.g.
Code:
 place your code here

I know it isn’t always easy to fully describe what you are trying to do, because it is clear to you, but remember, we have no idea except for what you tell us. The more accurate and complete the instructions are, the better we can assist you.

In all fairness, I have to say that I’m fairly new to Excel and VBA, so I may or may not be able to help you. However, there are many people here that are very talented and I’m sure would love to work on a solution.

TotallyConfused

Upvote 0
Excel 2016 (Windows) 32 bit
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
JC 12/15/2018
MONDAY TUESDAY WEDNESDAY THURSDAY FRIDAY
INC BOX
D-box
Disputes
D.A.W
Barcode
Daughter B/C
W.A.D.
Full wt.
Empty wt.
Waste Wt.
Types
Destination
NPC/PSC
Notes
Full Wt.
Empty Wt.
Box #
Full Wt.
Full Wt.
Empty Wt.
Full Wt.
Empty Wt.
BIN
Sheet: NOTES

Excel 2016 (Windows) 32 bit
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Date
Barcode
Waste WT
40 S/l
20' S/l
B-25
Drum
Exelon
Other
Bin Side Intermodal
Hall Side Intermodal
Bin
DAW
EX metal
Metal
Time (in Min)
Customer
Total to Bin
Total to Inc
Total to Comp
Disputes
NOTES
JC 12/15/2018
X
X
Sheet: DOWNTIME

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back