INDEX MATCH - Find the latest entry

MonkeyFace28

Board Regular
Hi y'all :)

Hope everyone is well and looking forward to Christmas!! YAY!! :rolleyes:

I have a quick question, I have done a bit of searching for an answer to my question but couldn't find anything that seemed to work when I applied it to my sheet.

I have sheet (OPEN_GOs) containing order numbers column B, I need to return that latest Invoice for said order number. Here is my index match formula.

=IFERROR(INDEX(report14!$E$2:$E$967,MATCH(OPEN_GOs!B2,report14!$M$2:$M$3299,0)),"NO INVOICE")

There is a date column (report14 - column B) that could be used to determine a unique reference, but I can't think how to use it?

Thanks in advance for reading and your help :)

Steph xx

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Hi,

Try something like this:

=IFERROR(INDEX(report14!$E$2:$E$3299,MATCH(MAX(--(Report14!$M$2:$M$3299=OPEN_Gos!B2)*(Report14!$B$2:$B$3299)),Report14!$B$2:$B$3299,0)),"NO INVOICE")

It's an array formula so and confirm with CTRL+Shft+Enter

Upvote 0
Hi,

Try something like this:

=IFERROR(INDEX(report14!$E$2:$E$3299,MATCH(MAX(--(Report14!$M$2:$M$3299=OPEN_Gos!B2)*(Report14!$B$2:$B$3299)),Report14!$B$2:$B$3299,0)),"NO INVOICE")

It's an array formula so and confirm with CTRL+Shft+Enter

AWWW yay, Heel erg bedankt :) xx

Upvote 0
Your description (which is incomplete) does no align well with the formula you posted...

The formula moreover references two unequally sized ranges.

Upvote 0
Hello all, have the same issue... I've pasted a new report in my raw data sheet and it's not showing the latest invoice in the output. Is there a way I can upload the data so y'all can see what I mean?

thanks in advance

Upvote 0
this is a snapshot of the sheet...

y4mtSgNawEc0LcDipLif7Q9U1ZToRZ26SjTvzNqUqFXq2i3jbiOghgTXUx_pJZMn23sF-qTanJ5HoAAo5g-0zYKMPPBl5hgZ87t1Te1xUKnaxLjGHzNpJV8egU8u750gacfMHwoC69yoFPEnh5qSI0XSkT5zFfECaLB1lwsJ-KNxr0DJFzcN9pZ0wjPn1JcY9dUIAXKed9mGy7ygqAc8FdO1A

this is the report I'm pasting the new data download into, that should be populating the "open GO's" sheet.

you can see here on lines 10 and 11 that it has the same ref in column M and different invoice numbers in column E - all I need is that highest number returned. so in this case it would be "50313" but the formula I'm using isn't doing that...

y4mwiMirIDKPGlnr7crmX6hHveF33Ec2siEdCl_rGIPZUtR8BOz3jLdi6HKEUEC6bSqzozWAdQjBQ-uh03cJiueF0-1-YX34_lcLXoESZk69QBZvbiX2PSgCwA0h_cQmEFv40RLhuWe0gRHGMXiusVVEieVfo-qfuxboFMSrM9-c47nP9HOKvCPw1_PvI9oOFyW-B3YHtuoWnrX_7rKjHjUQQ

here is the formula :
{=IFERROR(INDEX(report14!$E$2:$E$3299,MATCH(MAX(--(report14!$M$2:$M$3299=OPEN_GOs!B33)*(report14!$B$2:$B$3299)),report14!$B$2:$B$3299,0)),"Not Invoiced Yet")}

thanks in advance for any help! :)

Upvote 0
1. A picture requires retyping if one has to experiment for a solution: An unreasonable implicit demand.

2. Providing a non-working formula as a substitute for problem description becomes more often not misleading.

3. Here is a generic attempt... Control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=MAX(IF(report14!$M$2:$M$3299=condition,report14!$E$2:$E$3299))

Here condition stands for whatever must hold for the range in column M... If you have MAXIFS on your system, just enter instead:

=MAXIFS(report14!$E$2:$E$3299,report14!$M$2:$M$3299,condition)

Upvote 0
1. A picture requires retyping if one has to experiment for a solution: An unreasonable implicit demand.

2. Providing a non-working formula as a substitute for problem description becomes more often not misleading.

3. Here is a generic attempt... Control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=MAX(IF(report14!$M$2:$M$3299=condition,report14!$E$2:$E$3299))

Here condition stands for whatever must hold for the range in column M... If you have MAXIFS on your system, just enter instead:

=MAXIFS(report14!$E$2:$E$3299,report14!$M$2:$M$3299,condition)

1. I did ask if anyone knew how to add the spreadsheet to the post... no one answered. Also, I was not demanding anything!! I just thought seeing the data might help! I would never expect anyone thinking of helping me to type out data from scratch.

2. I thought I explained what wasn't working? - the formula isn't showing the latest invoice number? it isn't even showing an invoice that is related to the GO number. I thought I had also said what I needed it to do? sorry I am really not sure how I could have been clearer.

3. thank you for your "generic attempt"

4. I think if you want to help someone in the future, maybe just help them... or NOT! you don't need to be rude or have a go at them for not knowing how to do something. It's people posting like yourself that makes people like me scared to post things on sites like these for fear of being laughed at or ridiculed.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back