Formula showing as text rather than calculating

jkharms

Board Regular
When I type a formula designated for a specific cell (e.g. C6), the text of the formula appears in the cell, rather than the numeric result. When I delete the text in the formula bar, it remains visible in the cell. If I type new text in the formula bar, the original text remains visible in C6. The only way to clear the C6 is to close the sheet and start over.

I've checked all the normal ways calculations can be hindered ("show formula", "manual calculation", etc.) and those all appear to be correct.

Side note: I'm not able to select and therefore copy C6. When I Select All on the spread sheet containing C6, one cell (not C6) appears to not have been selected. I'm not able to delete that cell, even if I move it up or down to a new position and attempt to delete the row it's in. When I delete the row it appears to be in, the cell moves to another row.

This problem exists with three separate spread sheets.

I'm using Excel 16.13.1 on MAC OS 10.13.6

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
maybe change format of the cell to General or use Clear - Clear Formats and it should change format to General automatically

Upvote 0
Thank you...however, I've previously tried changing the format to "General" , but that didn't fix anything. I've actually run through all of the "five things most likely to interfere with calculation" and none of them have fixed the problem.

Any other thoughts as to what might be causing this?

Upvote 0
Click on C6.

Then from the right click menu (if it is the same on a MAC as it is on a PC/Windows) select DELETE.

It should then ask you if you want to have the cells move up, left, etc. Choose one.

Now, with that specific cell eliminated, try entering the formula again.

Upvote 0
I've previously tried changing the format to "General" , but that didn't fix anything.

After you change the cell format from Text to General or any numeric format, you must "re-enter" the formula. On a PC, I select the cell, press f2 (or click anywhere in the Formula Bar), then press Enter (or ctrl+shift+Enter for an array-entered formula).

PS.... The same is true if the cell contains a constant that is intended to be numeric. We must "re-enter" the constant by pressing f2, then Enter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back