Find the Last Value in a Column of Array Formulas

DavidWF

Board Regular
I currently use
Code:
=LOOKUP(2,1/(1-ISBLANK($AB:$AB)),$AB:$AB)
to find the last value in col AB where I have manually entered the cell values.

I just tried to use the same formula on another worksheet but on this sheet every value in col AB is the result of an array formula. The =LOOKUP formula is returning a blank, even though col AB has thousands of values in it. On both sheets col AB is a mix of numeric values and blank cells, the difference being that on the sheet where I manually enter data the blank cells are truly blank, whereas on the second sheet the blank cells contain an underlying formula that hasn't returned a numeric value.

I'm guessing that the blank output is because of the array formula. How should I amend the =LOOKUP formula to work with the array data?

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Thanks Phuoc - the issue is now solved.

I tried your formula but got the same result - a zero.

I was puzzled why so many different formulae were failing to give the expected result when those same formulae worked fine in other locations so I started to probe a bit further. I eventually found a block of data/formulae several thousands of rows down the sheet, with multiple cells displaying a zero. I have absolutely no idea how this block came to be down there, but deleting the 6000 rows immediately below my active data area on the sheet solved the issue.

Your formula worked fine once those rows had been deleted.

If you are after the last numeric value, it's just this what you need:

=LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,AB:AB)

If you want to exclude 0's the target reference might have as a result...

=LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,1/AB:AB,AB:AB)

Upvote 0
Hi Aladin
Sorry for the late response, I've been away for a few days.

I had to recreate the problem to test your formulae, by putting the zero values back into the worksheet again. And - your formula worked perfectly!!

All the previous answers worked fine provided there wasn't the block of zero values lurking at the bottom of the worksheet, but your last formula did indeed return the last true numeric value and value and excluded the 0's that were further down. Brilliant!

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed and provided me with a collection of alternative solutions.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back