Excel VBA sort sometimes stops (but doesn't error)

ko1967

This one has been driving me nuts for some time so I'm hoping one of the knowledgeable people here has an answer.

I have a massive spreadsheet (11 MB and growing) that I use to track stock trading data. Imbedded w/i the spreadsheet are many RTD functions calling ToS to get real time data on stocks/options/futures. I have the following code which sorts 4 tables on 4 different tabs. The problem is that sometimes (not all the time) the tblOpenPos table will not sort. The 3 other tables will sort and the VBA does not error out in the case where the tblOpenPos tab does not sort. I set Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual to stop the RTD function from returning data during the sort. And I actually set it to manual before each sort because I read a post that indicated that if there are calculations in a table that is sorted that the sort will force a recalc. And most of the time when the macro returns and the data is not sorted I can click the button to call the macro again and it will sort this time.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Code:
Sub Sort()'
' Sort Macro
' Sorts TLog, CLog, Activity, and OpenPos tabs.
'
'
    Dim xlCalcMode As XlCalculation

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

' save current calculation mode
    xlCalcMode = Application.Calculation
    ' set calculation mode to manual to speed up sort process
    Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual

' sort Tlog
    Sheet2.Select
    With Sheet2.ListObjects("tblTLog").Sort
        .SortFields.Clear
        .SortFields.Add Key:=Range("tblTLog[Closed]"), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlDescending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
        .SortFields.Add Key:=Range("tblTLog[CID]"), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
        .SortFields.Add Key:=Range("tblTLog[TID]"), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
        .Header = xlYes
        .MatchCase = False
        .Orientation = xlTopToBottom
        .SortMethod = xlPinYin
        .Apply
    End With
    ' Auto update row height of all rows on the sheet
    Call AutoRowHeight

' sort CLog
    Sheet20.Select
    With Sheet20.ListObjects("tblCLog").Sort
        .SortFields.Clear
        .SortFields.Add Key:=Range("tblCLog[CloseDt]"), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
        .SortFields.Add Key:=Range("tblCLog[CID]"), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
        .Header = xlYes
        .MatchCase = False
        .SortMethod = xlPinYin
        .Apply
    End With
    ' Auto update row height of all rows on the sheet
    Call AutoRowHeight

' sort Activity
    Sheet23.Select
    With Sheet23.ListObjects("tblActivity").Sort
        .SortFields.Clear
        .SortFields.Add Key:=Range("tblActivity[CID]"), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
        .SortFields.Add Key:=Range("tblActivity[TID]"), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
        .Header = xlYes
        .MatchCase = False
        .SortMethod = xlPinYin
        .Apply
    End With

Call AutoRowHeight

' sort Open Positions
    Sheet14.Select
    With Sheet14.ListObjects("tblOpenPos").Sort
        .SortFields.Clear
        .SortFields.Add Key:=Range("tblOpenPos[Sort]"), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
        .SortFields.Add Key:=Range("tblOpenPos[AID]"), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, _
            DataOption:=xlSortNormal
        .SortFields.Add Key:=Range("tblOpenPos[CID]"), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
        .SortFields.Add Key:=Range("tblOpenPos[Sort2]"), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
        .SortFields.Add Key:=Range("tblOpenPos[Expiration]"), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
        .SortFields.Add Key:=Range("tblOpenPos[Strike]"), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlDescending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
        .SortFields.Add Key:=Range("tblOpenPos[PC]"), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
        .SortFields.Add Key:=Range("tblOpenPos[OpenDt]"), SortOn:=xlSortOnValues, Order:=xlAscending, DataOption:=xlSortNormal
        .Header = xlYes
        .MatchCase = False
        .SortMethod = xlPinYin
        .Apply
    End With

Call UpdateHighLow

' Restore calculation mode to what it was when subroutine was called
    Application.Calculation = xlCalcMode

End Sub

Sub AutoRowHeight()
'
' rowheight Macro - autofit all row height in currently selected worksheet
'
    Cells.Select
    Cells.EntireRow.AutoFit

End Sub

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
ps. The first column in tblOpenPos = [TID] is populated using this function (i.e. it pulls a unique list from the tblTLog table).

{=IFERROR(INDEX(tblTLog[TID],SMALL(IF((tblTLog[CloseDt]="")+(tblTLog[CID]<>"")=2,ROW(tblTLog[TID])-ROW(TLog!$A$1)),ROWS(TLog!$A$1:$A1))),"")}

Upvote 0
Closing out my own thread as I found the following solution.

Within the tblTLog table I established a [OSID] column where I concat the various fields originally specified in the VBA sort code for the tblOpenPos table. This establishes 1 field for sorting. Then I established a [Rank] column in the tblTLog table with the following function which ranks the [OSID] column (1 to n) in the sort order specified by the [OSID] field while ignoring blank cells and cells that evaluate to "".

[Rank] =IF([@OSID]="","",SUMPRODUCT(--([OSID]<>""),--([OSID]<[@OSID]))+1)

Then in the OpenPos table in the [TID] column is have the function which pulls TID (unique identifier) from tblTLog where the row (1 to n) in the tblOpenPos table matches the Rank in the tblTlog table.

[TID]=IFERROR(INDEX(tblTLog,MATCH(ROW()-ROW(tblOpenPos[#Headers]),tblTLog[Rank],0),MATCH(A$9,tblTLog[#Headers],0)),"")

... and BONUS ... one less array formula

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back