fraction numbers

lezawang

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi
I formatted a group of cells to Number-->Fraction. The entered 1/2, 1/3, 10/12 and I got these number 1/2,1/3, and 5/6 in the right hand side of these cells (so far so good) but when i typed 10/11 or 11/12 , I got 1 in the middle of the cell? Why is that? Thank you.

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Select the cell, then go to format - custom and click the # ??/?? option, does that sort it out?

Other option is when you clicked the fractions choosing the "up to 2 digits" or "up to 3 digits" options

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you all. What does "up to two digits" mean here? and why 1 in the middle of the cell?
I have a feeling that because 10/11 is close to 1 then excel put 1 but why in the middle of the cell? Thank you again for your help and reply. I appreciate it

Upvote 0
Sorry I got the up to 2 digits now. I just want to know now why excel put 1 in the middle? thank you so much

Upvote 0
Because it rounds up because you had it set to to 1 digit option.

Upvote 0
Right but why excel did not put "1" to the right hand side of the cell [ 1]
like any number? excel put it in the middle [ 1 ]
Thank you

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Because to display as a fraction it needs special formatting because it isn't displaying as a regular number.
Type the whole number 1 in a cell and in another cell type 1.5 and format as a fraction and see how they display.

Upvote 0
Should have said...
Type the whole number 1 in a cell and in another cell type 1.5 and format as a fraction with 1 digit and see how they display.

After that format the cells as 2 digits and see where the whole number part displays.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back