Hyperpolymath

I am using the statistics functions on Excel 2016, which have various items listed as 'compatibility functions', for instance, =mode and =stdev. I wanted to know, if I import an old spreadsheet:

1) Is there somewhere I can find out which of the new functions the deprecated ones refer to? For instance:

a) does =mode become (or act as) =mode.sing or =mode.mult
b) does =stdev become (or act as) =stdev.s or =stdev.p

2) Is there a way of converting all of the functions across the entire workbook/worksheet/in a range to one or the other reliably and automatically? I have spreadsheets that are very large and include functions AND text, so if I were to just do a 'find and replace' I risk changing text that says to users 'mode' to 'mode.mult' which is sort of helpful to me, but will confuse people. However, since they will assume that when I write 'mode' in text for their interpretation, I will always (for me) be talking about results that are =mode.mult or =stdev.s outputs it will be perfectly fine for them not to know the detail. Of course, I need to ensure that this is absolutely going to get it right behind the scenes too, so I don't want any errors on this correction, or it makes the output completely meaningless even though it will look fine!

Thanks so much!

Jonathan

Excel Facts

Ambidextrous Undo
Undo last command with Ctrl+Z or Alt+Backspace. If you use the Undo icon in the QAT, open the drop-down arrow to undo up to 100 steps.
1) See this link

https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...eference-3D03E2D6-8559-4962-B037-58AC27EFA2AD

2) You could code something in VBA, but I doubt it would be worth the effort. Unless there is an accuracy issue affecting your current formulas, I would recommend staying with the legacy function unless you are in the mood for a major revamp. The 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it rule' should be your guide. Remember that if you substitute the new function on a mission critical workbook you cannot just accept Microsoft's word that the new function won't behave differently, you have to validate.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ijat

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back