VBA to move a cell value up if blank

DMO123

Board Regular
HI, im looking for a VBA code that will help me with an issue. i have data in column N but if in column O the cell is blank i need it to move the value below up so the cell in column O is no longer blank.

essentially this if IF column N has a value and column O is blank copy the value below up from column O.

can someone help, been searching online and cant find much. i can get it working for a formula but i need to to run via a button and i needs to run on 10000 cells.

thanks!

Ok, using your last example, how should the result look like?
Using my code, here's the result:

<b></b><table cellpadding="2.5px" rules="all" style=";background-color: rgb(255,255,255);border: 1px solid;border-collapse: collapse; border-color: rgb(187,187,187)"><colgroup><col width="25px" style="background-color: rgb(218,231,245)" /><col /><col /></colgroup><thead><tr style=" background-color: rgb(218,231,245);text-align: center;color: rgb(22,17,32)"><th></th><th>N</th><th>O</th></tr></thead><tbody><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">1</td><td style=";">Cause</td><td style=";">Det</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">2</td><td style=";">Not Related</td><td style=";">Listed</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">3</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style=";">Listed</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">4</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style=";">Listed</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">5</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style=";">Listed</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">6</td><td style=";">Not Assessable</td><td style=";">Unlisted</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">7</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">8</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style=";">Unlisted</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">9</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style=";">Unlisted</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">10</td><td style=";">Not Related</td><td style=";">Unlisted</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">11</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">12</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style=";">Unlisted</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">13</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style=";">Unlisted</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">14</td><td style=";">Not Related</td><td style=";">Listed</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">15</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">16</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style=";">Listed</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">17</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style=";">Listed</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">18</td><td style=";">Not Assessable</td><td style=";">Unlisted</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">19</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">20</td><td style=";">Not Assessable</td><td style=";">Unlisted</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">21</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">22</td><td style=";">Not Related</td><td style=";">Listed</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">23</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">24</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style=";">Listed</td></tr><tr ><td style="color: rgb(22,17,32);text-align: center;">25</td><td style="text-align: right;;"></td><td style=";">Listed</td></tr></tbody></table><p style="width:4,8em;font-weight:bold;margin:0;padding:0.2em 0.6em 0.2em 0.5em;border: 1px solid rgb(187,187,187);border-top:none;text-align: center;background-color: rgb(218,231,245);color: rgb(22,17,32)">Sheet5</p><br /><br />

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Yes that is correct it should look how you have it - using the code below nothing happens?

Code:
[COLOR=Royalblue][FONT=&quot]Sub[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#333333][FONT=&quot] a1083797b()[/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=&quot][I][COLOR=seagreen]'https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/1083797-vba-move-cell-value-up-if-blank.html[/COLOR][/I]
[COLOR=Royalblue]Dim[/COLOR] rng [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] Range, va, vb, i [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Long[/COLOR], n [COLOR=Royalblue]As[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Long[/COLOR]

n = Range([COLOR=brown]"N:O"[/COLOR]).Find([COLOR=brown]"*"[/COLOR], SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious).Row
    vb = Range([COLOR=brown]"N1:N"[/COLOR] & n)
    [COLOR=Royalblue]Set[/COLOR] rng = Range([COLOR=brown]"O1:O"[/COLOR] & n)
    va = rng

[COLOR=Royalblue]For[/COLOR] i = LBound(vb, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]) [COLOR=Royalblue]To[/COLOR] UBound(vb, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]) - [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR] vb(i, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]) <> [COLOR=brown]""[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]And[/COLOR] va(i, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]) = [COLOR=brown]""[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]Then[/COLOR]
            va(i, [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]) = va(i + [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR], [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR])
            va(i + [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR], [COLOR=crimson]1[/COLOR]) = [COLOR=brown]""[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=Royalblue]End[/COLOR] [COLOR=Royalblue]If[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Royalblue]Next[/COLOR]

rng = va 
End Sub[/FONT]

Upvote 0
Yes that is correct it should look how you have it - using the code below nothing happens?

I don't understand why that happen. I used the code and that was the result I got.

Let's try something fresh.
Copy your data sample in your post (#10), then paste to a new sheet then run the code. See what happen.

Upvote 0
So have done the above - it works but what is really strange is if i copy the data from #10 it works if i copy the data from my spreadsheet the code dose nothing but they are identical?

i put all this in a new document and still get the same issue, i ran the data from #10 first then swapped it for the data from my spreadsheet and the code did nothing?

so in short the code is working but i have an issue somewhere, any help would be appreciated!

thank you!

Upvote 0
Hm, without the actual workbook, I can only guess, maybe the blanks in col O are not really blank?
Try something like this:
- copy-paste the data to a text editor (notepad)
- copy the data from that text editor
- paste back to a new sheet
- run the code

If it still don't work, maybe you can upload part of your workbook (without sensitive data) somewhere (uptobox.com or google drive) then put the link here.

Upvote 0
Thank you - its working now i didn't realise the cells were not blank my mistake! i didn't think they would be populated as its come from a database but anyway thank you so much for your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Guest1337

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back