Automatic file opening: a mystery

Nelson78

Office Version
  1. 2007
Hello everybody.

In the last few days something strange is happening on my pc: when I arrive at work, I detect the presence of an alert popup telling something like it is impossible to find the file xxxyyy under the directory zzz, as something is trying to open it (tomorrow I will provide a screenshot in order to be more precise).
Anyway, that popup blocks other Excel process running at night, so I need to inhibite it.

Actually, the questioned file has been on my pc until recent times, than it's been removed.

Now, I cannot detect what is trying to open it.

The situation when I leave at the end of the day is:
- Outlook is open and triggers Excel events when specific e-mails are delievered, but no one among the involved files seems to have instruction of opening that file;
- one Excel file is open all-night, but it doesn't contain instructions about that file.

Could you support me in identifying where the instruction lies?

Thank you.

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
i would guess in an excel file you have a timer set, that should have been stopped when exiting with a suitable routine. often users choose to circumvent the intended routine and the code remains active.

if you shut your pc down fully and restart that should cure it until the file is reopened and shut down badly

Upvote 0
i would guess in an excel file you have a timer set, that should have been stopped when exiting with a suitable routine. often users choose to circumvent the intended routine and the code remains active.

if you shut your pc down fully and restart that should cure it until the file is reopened and shut down badly

Yes, it should be exactly what you suggested: I restarted and ever since the error has never happened again.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back