List of URL Images to export and rename

KnightC

Hi

I have an excel sheet showing the SKU and image URL i need a way to export these to a folder on my desktop (New Folder) i understand there is a way of doing this with a macro and the ones i have found i can't seem to get to work.

The excel sheet is
Column A | Column B
SKU | ImageURL

I need the macro to change the image name to the SKU name i have about 1500 lines at the moment all different SKU names.

If anybody could help me with this i would gratefully appreciate it.

Many Thanks Craig.

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Hi John

Thank you for this still having issues i'm not fully aware of the Macro feature so i have the following in the macro project which isn't working:

My system is the 64bit if that matters. and looking to save them in the following location C:\Desktop\Images

Code:
#If VBA7 Then
Private Declare PtrSafe Function URLDownloadToFile Lib "urlmon" Alias "URLDownloadToFileA" _
     (ByVal pCaller As LongPtr, ByVal szURL As String, ByVal szFileName As  String, ByVal dwReserved As Long, ByVal lpfnCB As LongPtr) As Long
Private Declare PtrSafe Function DeleteUrlCacheEntry Lib "Wininet.dll" Alias "DeleteUrlCacheEntryA" _
    (ByVal lpszUrlName As String) As Long
[URL=https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=Else]#Else[/URL] 
Private Declare Function URLDownloadToFile Lib "urlmon" Alias "URLDownloadToFileA" _
     (ByVal pCaller As Long, ByVal szURL As String, ByVal szFileName As  String, ByVal dwReserved As Long, ByVal lpfnCB As Long) As Long
Private Declare Function DeleteUrlCacheEntry Lib "Wininet.dll" Alias "DeleteUrlCacheEntryA" _
[URL=https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=End]#End[/URL]  If

Private Const BINDF_GETNEWESTVERSION As Long = &H10

Public Sub Download_Images()

Dim lr As Long, r As Long
    Dim saveInFolder As String

saveInFolder = ThisWorkbook.Path & ""
    If Right(saveInFolder, 1) <> "" Then saveInFolder = saveInFolder & "C:\Desktop\Images"

With ActiveSheet
        lr = .Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
        For r = 2 To lr
            DownloadFile .Cells(r, "B").Value, saveInFolder & .Cells(r, "A").Value & ".png"
        Next
    End With

End Sub

Private Function DownloadFile(URL As String, LocalFilename As String) As Boolean

Dim retVal As Long

DeleteUrlCacheEntry URL
    retVal = URLDownloadToFile(0, URL, LocalFilename, BINDF_GETNEWESTVERSION, 0)
    If retVal = 0 Then DownloadFile = True Else DownloadFile = False

End Function

Upvote 0
Do you really mean C:\Desktop\Images? The Desktop folder is usually C:\Users\username\Desktop.

Try this macro, which downloads the image URLs in column B of the active sheet and saves them as the SKU in column A (with .jpg appended) to the Images subfolder on your Desktop. It creates the Images folder if it doesn't exist.

It should work for 32-bit and 64-bit Excel on 32-bit and 64-bit Windows. Put the code in a regular module - see https://www.contextures.com/xlvba01.html#videoreg if you need help with this.

Code:
Option Explicit

[URL=https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=If]#If[/URL]  VBA7 Then
Private Declare PtrSafe Function URLDownloadToFile Lib "urlmon.dll" Alias "URLDownloadToFileA" _
    (ByVal pCaller As LongPtr, ByVal szURL As String, ByVal szFileName As String, ByVal dwReserved As Long, ByVal lpfnCB As LongPtr) As Long
Private Declare PtrSafe Function DeleteUrlCacheEntry Lib "Wininet.dll" Alias "DeleteUrlCacheEntryA" _
[URL=https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=Else]#Else[/URL] 
Private Declare Function URLDownloadToFile Lib "urlmon.dll" Alias "URLDownloadToFileA" _
    (ByVal pCaller As Long, ByVal szURL As String, ByVal szFileName As String, ByVal dwReserved As Long, ByVal lpfnCB As Long) As Long
Private Declare Function DeleteUrlCacheEntry Lib "Wininet.dll" Alias "DeleteUrlCacheEntryA" _
[URL=https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=End]#End[/URL]  If

Public Sub Download_URL_Images()

saveInFolder = CreateObject("WScript.Shell").SpecialFolders("Desktop") & "\Images"
    If Right(saveInFolder, 1) <> "" Then saveInFolder = saveInFolder & ""
    If Dir(saveInFolder, vbDirectory) = vbNullString Then
        MkDir saveInFolder
        MsgBox "Created new folder " & saveInFolder
    End If

With ActiveSheet
        lr = .Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).row
        For r = 2 To lr
            DownloadFile .Cells(r, "B").Value, saveInFolder & .Cells(r, "A").Value & ".jpg"
        Next
    End With

End Sub

Private Function DownloadFile(URL As String, LocalFilename As String) As Boolean

Dim retVal As Long

DeleteUrlCacheEntry URL

End Function

Upvote 0
Hi really sorry still having an issue can't seem to get it to work i have split the images to two separate sheets (jpn & png) and used the following codes:
PNG Images
Code:
Option Explicit

[URL=https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=If]#If[/URL]  VBA7 Then
Private Declare PtrSafe Function URLDownloadToFile Lib "urlmon.dll" Alias "URLDownloadToFileA" _
    (ByVal pCaller As LongPtr, ByVal szURL As String, ByVal szFileName As String, ByVal dwReserved As Long, ByVal lpfnCB As LongPtr) As Long
Private Declare Function URLDownloadToFile Lib "urlmon.dll" Alias "URLDownloadToFileA" _
    (ByVal pCaller As Long, ByVal szURL As String, ByVal szFileName As String, ByVal dwReserved As Long, ByVal lpfnCB As Long) As Long

saveInFolder = CreateObject("WScript.Shell").SpecialFolders("C:\Users\cknight\Desktop\Hyundai_Images") & ""
        MkDir saveInFolder
    End If

With ActiveSheet
        For r = 2 To lr
        Next
    End With

End Sub

Dim retVal As Long

DeleteUrlCacheEntry URL

End Function

JPG IMages
Code:
Option Explicit

saveInFolder = CreateObject("WScript.Shell").SpecialFolders("C:\Users\cknight\Desktop\Hyundai_Images") & ""
        MkDir saveInFolder
    End If

With ActiveSheet
        For r = 2 To lr
        Next
    End With

End Sub

Dim retVal As Long

DeleteUrlCacheEntry URL

End Function

Upvote 0
When i try and put
Code:
saveInFolder = CreateObject("WScript.Shell").SpecialFolders("C:\Users\cknight\Desktop") & "\Hyundai_Images"

It wants to create a new folder on my desktop even though there is a folder already there.

Upvote 0
You're calling SpecialFolders incorrectly. It should be just SpecialFolders("Desktop"), which returns "C:\Users\cknight\Desktop", and then you can append a subfolder to give the full path.

Code:
    saveInFolder = CreateObject("WScript.Shell").SpecialFolders("Desktop") & "\Hyundai_Images\"

And the If Dir line should ensure that the Hyundai_Images subfolder is created only if it doesn't exist.

To make the macro run on both sheets for png and jpg at the same time replace the code from With ActiveSheet to End With, with the following, changing "Sheet1" to the name of the sheet for pngs and "Sheet2" to the name of the sheet for jpgs.

Code:
    With Worksheets("Sheet1")
        For r = 2 To lr
        Next
    End With

With Worksheets("Sheet2")
        For r = 2 To lr
        Next
    End With

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mtsheetz

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back