Conditional Formatting won't allow font color changes but will allow fill color changes

uptopjimbo

Hello all, 1st post here so I will try and be as descriptive as possible. Appreciate any help!

I'm using Excel 2018 and I'm trying to get conditional formatting to show an arrow pointing up in green and an arrow pointing down in red. I do not want to fill the cell with color, I only want the font to change color. My workbook is not shared and I only have 1 worksheet so it is impossible to have other cells selected.

The formula I'm using is =IF(LINEST(I21:K21)>0,"p","q") where my font is wingdings3 so "p" is up arrow and "q" is down arrow. Excel will allow me to use conditional formatting to change the cell color as shown below:

The issue is that I don't want a green filled cell. I want my arrow to be green. When I go to do the same formula in conditional formatting (ie. =$M$21="p") and change the font color instead of the cell color this is what excel shows me and each time I change the color to green it defaults back to black (below).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YyDyMKo6YM0SQBg_xWSpApikJrXTY8IY/view

I've tried removing all conditional formats and starting from scratch. I've even opened new blank workbooks and started from scratch and same thing. Thanks again for any help. Much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Hello,

Not sure to understand your obstacles ...

As long as within your cell M21, you have displayed either p or q ... and you have formatted your cell with Wingdings 3 ...

You two conditional formatting rules (one for each letter) will allow you to select the Font color ... which will produce a Green or a Red Arrow ...

Upvote 0
Hi James006,

I don't understand what you're trying to say. I'm trying to conditionally format cell M21. I am using wingdings3 as a font which really doesn't play into this at all. If I used Arial it is the same problem. And yes, if I find a way to get the conditional formatting for "p" to work then I will create an additional conditional format in the same cell for "q".

Upvote 0
Let me try to clarify ...

1. In cell M21 formatted with Wingdings3 ... you do have either either the letter P or the letter Q

2. Then, you only need two conditional rules for the cell M21 :

= M21 = "p" with Format Font Green
and
=M21 = "q" with Format Font Red

Hope this clarifies

Upvote 0
Thanks for clarification. I understood what you were saying and what I was trying to say is that what you are recommending is not accurate. That can be seen in my original post where I showed that excel allows the conditional formatting for the cell fill based on the EXACT same parameters (i.e. "p"). Regardless of the text being wingdings, arial, times new roman, or any other variation thereof, excel knows that that arrow is "p".

To me this issue has a deeper problem. I'm usually pretty good at figuring these things out so I thought I'd try an excel board for the first time, but I think I've stumped the board and myself.

Thank you anyway for trying. Much appreciated.

Upvote 0
As long as the applies to range is M21 then the formatting should work.
Have you tried repairing Excel?

Upvote 0
So....I just opened this file on a co-workers computer, same version of excel and it works just fine. I think Excel needs reparied. I'm going to try that and let everyone know. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
So after talking with our IT guy it looks like my computer had a registry error that was causing issues. I first tried the "repair" option and that didn't work. If it's a registry error you experience then you're going to need full blown uninstall, eliminate all MS OFFICE, and then do a fresh install. Once I did that I opened my file up and conditional formatting worked perfectly.

Thanks again for all the comments. Much appreciated.

Upvote 0
Glad it's sorted & thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back