Format Cells as Date not changing cell data

craigo298er

I downloaded a spreadsheet and amongst other data is a Due Date column. I'd like to change it from MM-DD-YYYY to DD-Mmm-YYYY. Usually it is simple enough...just highlight the cells>Format Cells>Date>14-Mar-12, except doesn't work. The cells only have the ##-##-####, no other spaces or text in the box.

I can go to each cell and type the date I want (for example 28 June 2020) and it then changes to the correct format, but it isn't changing it unless I change each cell text. I don't really feel like doing that to almost a thousand cells. Any idea?

Excel Facts

Copy a format multiple times
Select a formatted range. Double-click the Format Painter (left side of Home tab). You can paste formatting multiple times. Esc to stop
I downloaded a spreadsheet and amongst other data is a Due Date column. I'd like to change it from MM-DD-YYYY to DD-Mmm-YYYY. Usually it is simple enough...just highlight the cells>Format Cells>Date>14-Mar-12, except doesn't work. The cells only have the ##-##-####, no other spaces or text in the box.

I can go to each cell and type the date I want (for example 28 June 2020) and it then changes to the correct format, but it isn't changing it unless I change each cell text. I don't really feel like doing that to almost a thousand cells. Any idea?

Select the entire column, bring up the Text To Columns dialog box (Data tab, Data Tools panel, Text to Columns button) and click the Finish button as soon as the dialog box appears. If I am right, you should now be able to format the cells the way you want.

Upvote 0
Select the entire column, bring up the Text To Columns dialog box (Data tab, Data Tools panel, Text to Columns button) and click the Finish button as soon as the dialog box appears. If I am right, you should now be able to format the cells the way you want.
unfortunately that does not do anything

Upvote 0
unfortunately that does not do anything
Then I think you have other hidden characters in the cells along with your dates. My guess is you copy/pasted the dates from a website and picked up some trailing non-breaking space characters (ASCII 160) along the way. Assuming cell A1 contains one of your dates, what does this formula display...

=CODE(RIGHT(A1))

Upvote 0
Then I think you have other hidden characters in the cells along with your dates. My guess is you copy/pasted the dates from a website and picked up some trailing non-breaking space characters (ASCII 160) along the way. Assuming cell A1 contains one of your dates, what does this formula display...

=CODE(RIGHT(A1))
CODE shows 69 (changed to H1 see link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fR9GVKfrX2WYm7jUHP9YB-YuolCluVhT)

In cells H2 & H3 I typed 28June2020 and it auto changed to the format I want

Upvote 0
Hi,

Why are you checking H1? H1 is your Header, you should be checking H2 with Rick's suggestion.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back