Have a list in one cell, want a list returned in the next cell

danielrussell2

Hey guys, I've searched but I am not sure I'm using the correct terms so I am sure I have not found something that is in fact on this site.

My problem is that I have a list in cell G2 ("1a, 2b, 4e" for example) which corresponds with columns R and S to give a value (column R has the 1a through x24 on its rows, and column S has the corresponding item - hinge, closer, etc). Example mark 1a is for hinges, 3c is for a lockset lever, etc.

The way the G column is listed, it has each mark required for the line item followed by a comma and a space "1a, 2b, 4e" for example. I can run the index match function and get it to return the corresponding value from column S if there's only one value in column G, but any time there's more than one mark listed in column G it messes the formula up. What I want is for a list to appear in column H with the corresponding item in list form (with the first item matching, then a comma, then a space, then the next item, etc etc)

what formula would I need to input into column H to run this? What I currently have is below (hopefully that'll help kickstart this)
=INDEX($S$2:$S$25,MATCH(G2,$R$2:$R$25,0))

p.png

Capture.PNG

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Et_Cetera

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back