Ignore blanks when using COUNTIFS

geepy

In Column A I have a list of codes which start with 'SECU'. Then in Column B, I have various information which I only want to check if Column A says SECU0003 (not, for example, SECU0006). So, I want Excel to check Column A and if the cell in that column says SECU0003, I then want Excel to check Column B and count how many cells contain the letter "P" (and no other letters either side of it). Once I have that figure, I want to divide that figure by the sum of all the SECU0003 cells which have any of 5 letters (including 'P'), and then multiply by 100 to get a percentage showing what percentage of all the cells show 'P'. I've had a go with the formula below but in the second COUNTIF formula, I know I can't add the letters with '+' in that part of the formula, but I don't know how to do it. I'm also not sure if I've written the formula in a way that will prevent blank cells from affecting the result.

=(COUNTIFS(C5:C85,"SECU0003",E5:E85,"P")/(COUNTIFS(C5:C85,"SECU0003",E5:E85,"P"+"L"+"D"+"E"+"A")))*100

Please help, I've been going around in circles for hours :(

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
How about
=(COUNTIFS(C5:C85,"SECU0003",E5:E85,"P")/(COUNTIFS(C5:C85,"SECU0003")))*100

Upvote 0
How about
=(COUNTIFS(C5:C85,"SECU0003",E5:E85,"P")/(COUNTIFS(C5:C85,"SECU0003")))*100

Thank you, but the SECU0003 part for formula in column A is just to make sure that I'm working with the correct cells in the adjacent column B. The cells in column B contain one of five letters (one of these five letters is 'P'). In column B, there are also some cells which contain 'No Session', and some blank cells. I want to calculate what percentage of the cells containing letters are 'P' (ignoring any 'No Session' cells in the column, and making sure that blank cells don't affect the result).

Any ideas? :)

Upvote 0
In that case how about
=(COUNTIFS(C5:C85,"SECU0003",E5:E85,"P")/(SUM(COUNTIFS(C5:C85,"SECU0003",E5:E85,{"P","L","D","E","A"}))))*100

Upvote 0
Maybe...

=COUNTIFS(C5:C85,"SECU0003",E5:E85,"P")/COUNTIFS(C5:C85,"SECU0003",E5:E85,"?")*100

M.

Upvote 0
In that case how about
=(COUNTIFS(C5:C85,"SECU0003",E5:E85,"P")/(SUM(COUNTIFS(C5:C85,"SECU0003",E5:E85,{"P","L","D","E","A"}))))*100

Thanks, yes, I think that's it - the result in the E column is correct. However, when I drag the result to the right to do the same calculation for column F, I get the #DIV/0! error. I tried making the C5:C85 references absolute in the formula, because they should be, but I still get the same error. The only relative references in the formula are the E5:E85 ones, so I can't figure out why I'm getting the error??

Upvote 0
This works for me
=(COUNTIFS($C$5:$C$85,"SECU0003",E5:E85,"P")/(SUM(COUNTIFS($C$5:$C$85,"SECU0003",E5:E85,{"P","L","D","E","A"}))))*100

Upvote 0
This works for me
=(COUNTIFS($C$5:$C$85,"SECU0003",E5:E85,"P")/(SUM(COUNTIFS($C$5:$C$85,"SECU0003",E5:E85,{"P","L","D","E","A"}))))*100

I was really puzzled as to why I was getting an error message when I dragged the formula right - but it turned out to be due to trailing spaces in the data of the adjacent column. I used the TRIM function to get rid of them and then the formula worked fine.

Thanks so much for your help!!!

Upvote 0
Glad you sorted it & thanks for the feedback

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back